Quad 2.66 -> Octo 2.8

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AppleNewton, Jan 30, 2008.

1. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I had a few questions/inquiries about transferring over to the Octo 2.8

Right now im running a 2.66 Ghz Quad w/ 3gb of Ram + ATI x1900 + 500gb CTO drive.

does the expandability offer much significance for hardware?
    the bus performance, memory performance?

Also, my main concern is i have a 500gb internal drive in Bay2 for XP, if i remove that from there and slap it in the new Octo 2.8 will it still properly boot and function? or would i have to start over?

thanks!!

2. dralbertqnixon macrumors newbie

I would also like to know the correct answer to your problem.

I've had all but bad luck on any xp partitions. If you can, duplicate the drive beforehand.

Sorry I can't offer any concrete advice for the matter.

3. AppleNewton thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

oh no prob, thanks for posting here, its good to see someone else curious about it too.

the main reason i ask is because i did alot of custom pc building prior to purchasing a macpro and i know sometimes, you can jus switch out motherboards/cpus and not have to do a full reinstall. which would make my life easier...beccause i know the hell it is with reinstalling everything windows.

ugh!! (lol)

i also have a Leopard install disc if maybe that has all the new drivers for the Octo CPUS i could preinstall it on the XP drive and maybe it will "octo-proof" it so it can read the information?

lol idk, but its worth a shot.

4. casw1000 macrumors member

AppleNewton, thats an interesting thought you have there. Knowing how xp / vista WGA stuff works and given that the new Oct core runs on a new chipset, the likely answer is that whilst it *might* boot into xp, you will almost certainly need to activate again.

I have ordered my first Mac Pro 2.8 2x quad and look forward to running dual boot with Vista / XP64. Sorry not much help, but I think you could assume that the above is 'most likely' to be required.

-casw1000
    fold4life.com

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You'd need to use the restore disks that come with the new Mac Pro for that. The retail Leopard disk is too old to have current drivers.

6. AppleNewton thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

ahh yes! thanks!

and i dont mind activating, just a hassle to resinstall all those updates/patches and figure out which framework version to install, as CS2 doesnt install unless ou have the right one. that was my biggest obstacle for somereason when i first set up my Quad MacPro.

any suggestions on a good clone utility for XP? just in case?
    thanks!

7. AppleNewton thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

just bumping this thread, with the lot of those who recently got their macpros that previously had a mac pro quad system.

im looking into selling my Quadcore to put towards the Octocore system but i wanted to keep my exact windows partition on the same drive; has anyone done this....successfully?

ie; transfer XP drive from previous Macpro to new macpro?

sorry if it is repetitive however i ask as im cautious about reinstalling a good set system.

thanks!