quad 2.66 won't take a 1tb drive internally?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Draddy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Draddy macrumors regular

Has anyone experienced this?

I'm working on a 2.66 quad (4gb ram) and can't figure out how to get it to take this 1tb drive internally... nothing happens when you plug it in.

I thought surely an intel mac pro would be able to handle a 1tb drive, but it seems the highest I can go is 750 internally?

2. eMagine macrumors regular

eMagine

I have 2 Seagate 1TBs in my quad 2.66. No problems whatsoever.

~gary

3. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Did you check the disk utility? How about the console, see if it says anything about a disk error. If nothing at all happens it might be a bad disk.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

nothing happens ...

For starters, do you see the disk in the menu on the left when you open Disk Utility?

5. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, the drive was bought from apple, and I took it to the genius bar who determined that the computer couldn't take a 1tb drive. So they refunded the 3tbs for 3 750s which worked instantly.

I thought it sounded stupid that the mac pro couldn't take a 1tb drive. I mean, it is a 3gb/s SATA right? So the only limitation would be software like windows XP, which I know is not the Case for os x.

6. SCSnare macrumors member

I have a 2 x 2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 4GB of Ram and just installed a 1TB drive like 5 days ago. When you first put it in it doesn't show up on the desktop or in the finder. You have to go into the Disk Utility, and it'll show up there. Click on it and then go to the Partition tab. You have to set it to 1 Partition (or however many you want on it) and then name it whatever you want. Once you apply that it'll show up fine. Not sure why yours didn't work or why the guy at the store didn't know to that if you didn't try that before.

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Yeah, the 'Genius' should have at least tried using Disk Utility to format it. Unless the drive is specifically formatted for Macs they won't see it when you first plug in the drive - I had to format all three of the drives currently installed in my Mac Pro.

8. nikonmaster macrumors newbie

That Genuis is not so....

I have "3"Seagate 1tb drives, 1 from Newegg and 2 from Best buy. I plugged them in, turn on the MacPro and opened Disk Utility, Formated them OS X Journaled+ and we were off the to races.... No problems too date. The oldest is 6 months. Did have trouble with the WD Raptor 150 so I took it out. The Clear window on top makes a pretty cool external in a clear case. :) Formated it FAT32 and it works good.

Long live MAC! Oh and PC too....they keep me busy!