Quad Core 27" i7 (current model) or wait for the new model?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Andrew Ryan, Feb 22, 2011.

  1. Andrew Ryan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2011
    #1
    I want to start using Final Cut Pro. A buddy of mine works for apple and is able to get me a small discont on a computer. I have been a PC user for many years and am looking to make a change.

    The model I am eying is a 27" Quad Core i7. I picked up 4 gigs of ram off a different site, which will up the total to 8. With apple care, this will set me back just under 2k.

    But since I am learning Final Cut, will the new models matter that much, are they worth waiting for?
     
  2. flipster macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2010
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    If your willing to spend $2,000 on a computer, then you better be willing to wait an extra month for something that's obviously going to be better.
     
  3. Andrew Ryan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2011
    #3
    But how much better? That is the key question.

    Does an upgraded video card really matter that much? Its not like the computer is getting a brand new screen and a boatload of features, is it?

    And buying one of those without the discount, is going to cost about 5-600 dollars more.
     
  4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #4
    I think you'd be fine buying now if you want it now. I just bought my i7 2 weeks ago and it's awesome.

    That said, wait until at least the end of the week. Word is the new MacBook Pros should hit Thursday, and it might bring along with it hints of what updates you might see on the new iMacs. At that point you can decide if it's worth it or not.
     
  5. flipster macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2010
    Location:
    Boston
    #5
    Okay try to understand this lol. Your dropping $2,000 on a new machine. Wait, say what? a month? and get something better for the same price.

    The graphics card? Yes thats why im not buying now. The so called "awesome 1gb graphics card" in the top end imac is crap. Its old, and it has a 128mbit bandwidth that can't support that massive 2560x1440 good at all.

    Wait for something newer and better. A newer graphics card could have a 256mbit bandwidth that could very well support that 2560x1440 resolution a lot better, and would be a lot better for gaming.
     
  6. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    #6
    No one really knows when the mac refresh is. Macrumors buyers guide says it's the end of the cycle, but that could mean apple will refresh the imac next week or 2-4 months from now.

    Like other people said though, it probably would be better to wait and pay the same price for better hardware, even if the difference is minor.

    I got my i7 imac this past november, but I badly needed a computer upgrade, so I couldn't wait another 7-8 months for a future refresh.
     
  7. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 19, 2010
    #7
    For what it's worth, I am currently waiting for the next-generation iMac. (And it will be my first iMac!)
     
  8. Andrew Ryan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2011
    #8

    It will more than likely be a 5-600 dollar difference though, because with the new model, I wouldn't be getting the discount through my buddy, I'd be buying it on my own.

    I would imagine the new high end imac is probably going to go around 2300-2600 for the i7 processor, which is why I was debating on whether or not I should get it now.

    My current computer, an old laptop, is on its last thread.

    Are you saying the graphics card on the current i7 model can't support the definition the monitor displays?
     
  9. spcdust macrumors 6502a

    spcdust

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #9
    The GPU's in the iMac have always been a bone of contention amongst users, Apple always seem to be a good eighteen months behind the game regarding the GPU's they install in the iMac. Saying that I've got the ATI 4850 (late 2009 iMac) and it seems to cope fine with the resolution - sure it would be great to have a higher specced GPU with a little more headroom but you're never going to get a really top desktop class one in the iMac due to space and heat issues. Those waiting for Apple to suddenly change gear and include a top GPU will have a long wait - sure we may see a small bump (which is better than nothing) but I can't see anything in the GPU department that will be revolutionary. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they stick with the current GPU offering for the next refresh.

    Saying that it may be worth holding on for a week or two to see if anything iMac related is imminent (there's a lot of rumours currently flying around), however if the discount is more significant and you'll loose it by waiting that is an obvious consideration and you won't be disappointed with the current generation Core i7 iMac.
     
  10. bluap84 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #10
    i bought a quad core i7 early Feb. I admit im bummed about the new "refresh" model coming out soon. How ever...

    I am a long PC user, been in IT for 7 years and surrounded by Windows! yuk! I finally made the switch as i have been hooked on Apple since my first ipod. I now only ever use Windows when im at work, and i hate it!

    Get the iMac now, with the spec your getting its going to last you ages, the refresh will only come with a few new tasty bits. Not worth waiting IMO - i LOVE LOOOOOVE my iMac at home, it p*sses over any PC i have ever used and the screen is amazing! I love it! I WILL NEVER BUY A PC AGAIN!! mwah hahaha
     
  11. room271 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2011
    #11
    I'm thinking of getting an iMac as I need a new computer and am going to wait until the update. Usually an updated CPU/GFX etc is worth the wait.

    But the 5-600 dollar saving doesn't apply to me. So if it is now with that kind of discount at stake maybe get it (but there isn't a 'right' answer here). But I'd wait til Thurs at least as there may be news concerning the next iMac at the MBP update.
     
  12. theking79 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2009
    #12
    the iMac refresh is thought to be imminent according to rumors, not long after the MacBook Pro update.

    just wait until the refresh comes out, and as other people were saying it would be worth the wait just for the graphics chip being able to support the massive resolution a lot better.
     

Share This Page