Quad core cpu usage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lankox, Apr 29, 2011.

1. lankox macrumors regular

I'm confused about how the new 2011 MBP's handle cpu usage. I'm running a processor intensive task but it doesn't seem to be using near all of the cpu power to complete the task quicker. Can anyone explain what is going on? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Looks like the task is only single-threaded, meaning that it can't use more than one of your four cores.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Are there any tools that allow you to monitor the state of the Turbo bins under OS X? I vaguely recall there being one but for the command line and it only spat out what multiplier you were at.

4. simsaladimbamba, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

simsaladimbamba

I thought so too, but if it is Logos 4, then it is multi-core and multi-thread capable.
    OP, have you checked the preferences of that application yet?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MSR Tools

Then there is probably something wrong in the settings. Usually multithreaded apps let you choose how many cores/threads the app is allowed to use.

6. lankox thread starter macrumors regular

I was also told that Logos 4 is mutli-core capable and I don't see anything in the settings. So from the snapshot, Logos 4 is only using one core right?

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

One core is right. If it's a really well threaded app, you should be able to push close to 800% CPU usage (4 cores, each running 2 virtual cores, total 8).

If you had to, you could probably copy the app a few times, open a few of them at once, and run different tasks on each simultaneously.