Quad Core for Mac Pro Laptops?

Koonie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
I am new to both these forums, and to the Mac computer line. I noticed that the laptops have duo core processors in them right now. Do you think they would release quad core processors for laptops anytime soon? I'm looking to buy a mac, and I'm wondering if I should wait.

Also, should I buy a mac laptop now, or wait till this Arrandale thing comes out (not too familiar with it)?

bmstrong

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
The search button is your friend. I've posted a thread on this, as have a couple others.

The short answer is, if you can wait for early next year, then do so. However it will be some time, due to heat issues before quad's make it into laptops.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

lilskaterpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
I know its hard to say about when this can happen... but do u think quad would go into the 13.3'' MBP? or are the MBP 13.3'' to new before we see any changes happening. Im debating to buy a MBP 13.3'' sometime soon and now maybe hold off till January.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
I know its hard to say about when this can happen... but do u think quad would go into the 13.3'' MBP? or are the MBP 13.3'' to new before we see any changes happening. Im debating to buy a MBP 13.3'' sometime soon and now maybe hold off till January.
January could be too soon, maybe February, and quad cores are nearly impossible for the 13" MBP, maybe Arrandale, coreduos that is, also possibly just a speed bump.
I think for consumers that casually use MBP for some heavy stuff Arrandale can still be very good, especially in terms of power to consumption ratio. Clarksfield-4 cores, would still be kind of hardcore. Could simply be an option for top 15" and 17".

Four threads. Arrandale is a processor family; i3/i5/i7 are product brand names. Arrandale variants will be marketed under all three names, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_future_Intel_microprocessors#Dual-Core_Mobile_Processors
what I thought, that's why reading about Arrandale and 8 threads got me confused

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
8 and not 4? The article seems to say 4 threads
Four threads. Arrandale is a processor family; i3/i5/i7 are product brand names. Arrandale variants will be marketed under all three names, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_future_Intel_microprocessors#Dual-Core_Mobile_Processors
You're right, I was thinking of the i7 to early in my thinking of building the sentence.
After finishing the sentence I even thought I wrote 8 instead of 4, but didn't check.

lilskaterpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
January could be too soon, maybe February, and quad cores are nearly impossible for the 13" MBP, maybe Arrandale, coreduos that is, also possibly just a speed bump.
I think for consumers that casually use MBP for some heavy stuff Arrandale can still be very good, especially in terms of power to consumption ratio. Clarksfield-4 cores, would still be kind of hardcore. Could simply be an option for top 15" and 17".
So waiting for a new model of the 13.3'' MBP really wouldn't be much of an upgrade then? Like im thinking of buying the 13.3'' MBP now and if there were upgrades, prob nothing BIG. I don't quite understand the Arrandale, but core duos I do lol
Im not a heavy user as for video or memory programs. Just the casual browsing, downloading, chatting, videos, photos and I think the MBP 13.3'' model would be a good change for me from PC. I like the OS looks and works.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
heres what i guess for Feb 2010 13" MBPs

low end: 2.66 Core 2 Duo/4 gigs ram/250 or 320 gig drive

high end 2.8 Core 2 Duo/4 gigs ram/320 or 500 gig drive

prices stay the same

AudreeArrington

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
Hi

I know it's hard to say where to go ... but do not think or Quad MBP 13.3'', 13.3''MBP, or new before seeing the changes. Chat discussion buy MBP 13.3''sometimes quickly, and can now wait until January. :eek:

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
low end: 2.66 Core 2 Duo/4 gigs ram/250 or 320 gig drive

high end 2.8 Core 2 Duo/4 gigs ram/320 or 500 gig drive

prices stay the same
that would be quite a huge jump, I say 2.53 and 2.66 more likely, agree on the 4gb thing but maybe just the top specced macbook pro 13". 320 and 500 or some SSD which I doubt. It also depends on Arrandale prices and if Apple wants to go all arrandale and possibly corei5 or corei7 Clarksfield as an option for the top BTO 15" and 17". I just don't know how that influences the heat and power consumption and how they behave compared to top Arrandales.