Quad Core for Mac Pro Laptops?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Koonie, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Koonie macrumors newbie

Koonie

I am new to both these forums, and to the Mac computer line. I noticed that the laptops have duo core processors in them right now. Do you think they would release quad core processors for laptops anytime soon? I'm looking to buy a mac, and I'm wondering if I should wait.

Also, should I buy a mac laptop now, or wait till this Arrandale thing comes out (not too familiar with it)?

2. bmstrong macrumors 6502

The search button is your friend. I've posted a thread on this, as have a couple others.

The short answer is, if you can wait for early next year, then do so. However it will be some time, due to heat issues before quad's make it into laptops.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

wait until mid january then ask this again

no one can guess about the future

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. svndmvn Guest

6. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

I know its hard to say about when this can happen... but do u think quad would go into the 13.3'' MBP? or are the MBP 13.3'' to new before we see any changes happening. Im debating to buy a MBP 13.3'' sometime soon and now maybe hold off till January.

7. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

WRONG...ANYONE can GUESS about the future :cool:

Nobody KNOWS about the future with the exception of 3 people in Cupertino.

9. svndmvn Guest

January could be too soon, maybe February, and quad cores are nearly impossible for the 13" MBP, maybe Arrandale, coreduos that is, also possibly just a speed bump.
    I think for consumers that casually use MBP for some heavy stuff Arrandale can still be very good, especially in terms of power to consumption ratio. Clarksfield-4 cores, would still be kind of hardcore. Could simply be an option for top 15" and 17".

what I thought, that's why reading about Arrandale and 8 threads got me confused

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You're right, I was thinking of the i7 to early in my thinking of building the sentence.
    After finishing the sentence I even thought I wrote 8 instead of 4, but didn't check.

11. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

So waiting for a new model of the 13.3'' MBP really wouldn't be much of an upgrade then? Like im thinking of buying the 13.3'' MBP now and if there were upgrades, prob nothing BIG. I don't quite understand the Arrandale, but core duos I do lol
    Im not a heavy user as for video or memory programs. Just the casual browsing, downloading, chatting, videos, photos and I think the MBP 13.3'' model would be a good change for me from PC. I like the OS looks and works.

12. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

heres what i guess for Feb 2010 13" MBPs

low end: 2.66 Core 2 Duo/4 gigs ram/250 or 320 gig drive

high end 2.8 Core 2 Duo/4 gigs ram/320 or 500 gig drive

prices stay the same

13. AudreeArrington macrumors newbie

Hi

I know it's hard to say where to go ... but do not think or Quad MBP 13.3'', 13.3''MBP, or new before seeing the changes. Chat discussion buy MBP 13.3''sometimes quickly, and can now wait until January. :eek:

14. jamesgan macrumors newbie

well.. your Dentally MeFective brother from another mother.. can't

i know that you're not going to be pleased when you read this. Oh wait.. :cool:

15. svndmvn Guest

that would be quite a huge jump, I say 2.53 and 2.66 more likely, agree on the 4gb thing but maybe just the top specced macbook pro 13". 320 and 500 or some SSD which I doubt. It also depends on Arrandale prices and if Apple wants to go all arrandale and possibly corei5 or corei7 Clarksfield as an option for the top BTO 15" and 17". I just don't know how that influences the heat and power consumption and how they behave compared to top Arrandales.