Quad Core iMac or Quad Core Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jackshiels, Aug 9, 2010.

1. jackshiels macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I am wondering what computer to get as my next upgrade. Basically I am expanding my App business (we found App Store success hidden under a rock behind Apple HQ, no one else saw it) and need a new computer.

My needs are:

1. Graphics design (hi-res screen required)
    2. 3D game design
    3. Some sound
    4. Boot camp W7 gaming
    5. 3D modeling (nothing too fancy).

So I was looking at the new Mac Pros and wondering, "why does anyone even buy the quad core?" The differences between it and the quad core iMac are few and far between, right? Besides the dual GFX cards, which I would get if I chose the Mac Pro, would it even be worth it?

I figure that claiming VAT back I'll have to shell out 2800 euro (inc. screen) compared to 1800 euro for the iMac if I want the box. I just feel that for once it would be nice to buy the expensive computer and really splash out (as a kid I dreamed of this kind of stuff :p)

Could someone explain the pros/cons of the Mac Pro? Is the processor (nehalem, I believe) better than the i7? If there is a better way to go, please show me :)

Thanks

2. pawelthegreat macrumors member

pawelthegreat

This should all depend on the dough you have available for a new computer.
    Mac Pro is of course better but do you have the money to do so?

3. jackshiels thread starter macrumors newbie

Money really isnt the issue. I just don't want to be stupid and pay for something that is bad value.