Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Hi.

I am looking to buy an Apple desktop computer to replace my Windows PC, and have been looking at both the 24" iMacs and the Mac Pro.

I am leaning towards the iMacs because of their all in one design, but I'm a little reluctant at the moment because the lower end 24" iMac is the same spec (processor wise) as my Windows PC, and although the architecture etc is completely different, I don't really want to spend £1100 on a computer the same spec as my current one.

Does anyone know or have any opinions about the possibility of a quad core iMac coming out in the summer (around August)?

The reason I'm asking is because I am also looking to buy a MBP when they are updated, so if their's a possibility of a quad core iMac on the horizon, I'll buy my MBP and a 23" ACD and use that as a desktop solution for now.

Also, would I be better using my MBP as a desktop solution or buying a low end Mac Mini?

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
The iMac uses mobile processors. Intel is working on a quad core mobile chip, due out later this year, I think. Eventually, I imagine the iMacs will get that chip. But it would be a ways off, I would think.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
The iMac uses mobile processors. Intel is working on a quad core mobile chip, due out later this year, I think. Eventually, I imagine the iMacs will get that chip. But it would be a ways off, I would think.

Yeah, I'm thinking of it being around the Montevina chipset as Intel are releasing 15 new CPU's with the new chipset. Would you guys agree?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.