Quad core iMac possible?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gazfocus, Jan 21, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Hi.

I am looking to buy an Apple desktop computer to replace my Windows PC, and have been looking at both the 24" iMacs and the mac pro.

I am leaning towards the iMacs because of their all in one design, but I'm a little reluctant at the moment because the lower end 24" iMac is the same spec (processor wise) as my Windows PC, and although the architecture etc is completely different, I don't really want to spend £1100 on a computer the same spec as my current one.

Does anyone know or have any opinions about the possibility of a quad core iMac coming out in the summer (around August)?

The reason I'm asking is because I am also looking to buy a MBP when they are updated, so if their's a possibility of a quad core iMac on the horizon, I'll buy my MBP and a 23" ACD and use that as a desktop solution for now.

Also, would I be better using my MBP as a desktop solution or buying a low end Mac Mini?

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

The iMac uses mobile processors. Intel is working on a quad core mobile chip, due out later this year, I think. Eventually, I imagine the iMacs will get that chip. But it would be a ways off, I would think.

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Yeah, I'm thinking of it being around the Montevina chipset as Intel are releasing 15 new CPU's with the new chipset. Would you guys agree?