Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
What do you suppose are the chances of something like this in the next revision on the 24?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
What do you suppose are the chances of something like this in the next revision on the 24?

Zero. Unless they've developed Quad - core mobile processors.

EDIT: Which apparently they are doing, but as already stated they have heat issues.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
I'd say slim to none. First off, where are they going to put the heat sinks? There is a reason why the iMac uses the mobile chips- Yonah and Merom, and that is heat discipation, and no need for major heat sinks. It also allows them to make the computer thin and slick. Second of all, what exactly is a cosumer going to need 4 cores for? Surfing the web? Playing around with iPhoto? If you are a pro, then you will need the expandibility of a MacPro, and thus you will invest in one, rather than settle for an all-in-one.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think the iMac is subject the to same limitations that the Powerbook and now MBP have. There just isn't a way to really distribute the heat safely so that the machine isn't a firecracker of heat. In truth, a quad core imac 24" seems like it would be that so-called mid-range tower that everyone is looking for though the overall design would be the imac.

I doubt people are seeking a specific design (perhaps I am wrong) but they're seeking something that is in-between the iMac and the Mac Pro that would perform and yet not be too much. Something in the $2000 range maxed out would really be great for a pro-sumer model of those advanced amateur photographers and designers alike. While I could really see a Mac Pro in my near future, I am hesitant to really drop $3-$4k on a computer that is not even maxed out with all the great features :apple: has to offer.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
The iMac could handle it perfectly if it were based on the conroe desktop chip. Until there is a mobile quad core it will never happen though.

Also despite what anyone says, the desktop C2D is actually quite cool running. It wouldn't be a problem for the iMac.

iperson

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2007
Taipei, Taiwan
Personally, I wouldn't care if it was a little thicker in order to accomodate options/upgrades such as dual drives, Quad core, etc. However, this would drive the price up on something that is already out of range for a lot of people. Maybe. I think Macs are too expensive. But I'll still buy one.

It's true what someone said about "What do most consumers actually do..etc" but for me, I hope to buy a new mac that will still be useful, reasonable fast, and still be working long after applecare runs out. I want and hope to "future-proof" somewhat by buying something that has all the current bells and whistles. I could but a 24 imac now, but I would hate to be cringing in two months time every time I log on here.;)

That, and I've been renewing my interest in video and music, and hey, why not get something that is more than you need, rather than have something that you outgrow quickly?

And what jessica said.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I think they could do it. I am thinking that they could use the lowest end Quad Core 2.4GHz in the Biggest iMac. Call it like the iMac Pro....

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Don't think so ....... the heat would probably be too much in such an enclosed space. (I could be wrong, I usually am :confused: )

They could do it...the iMac G5 was a hot chip. But Apple wants a nice looks, low noise, Mac...not one that will slow sales of the Mac Pro

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I think they could do it. I am thinking that they could use the lowest end Quad Core 2.4GHz in the Biggest iMac. Call it like the iMac Pro....

Right now the iMac is a LAPTOP in a desktop configuration.

So you are limited to what can be used in laptops.

When Apple adds a desktop chipset to the lineup, it will plug a lot of holes between the laptop- and workstation-based machines.

Until then, you can dream ... or try hacking a C2D Centrino laptop to Quad core.

>mashinhead

Basically, you are asking what the chances Apple will switch to a desktop chipset for the iMacs.

Which will likely happen, but maybe not this next generation.

In order to grow their sales they will have to add some more machines and adding a true desktop for that gamer demographic will be something they will try -- which should mean a desktop-based iMac.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Basically, you are asking what the chances Apple will switch to a desktop chipset for the iMacs..

I disagree, what we are asking is will Apple not only start using a desktop chip, but will the pick one that is a Quad Core Chip.

A high end Conroe, which IMO is even less likely then Apple using a Dual Core Conroe, since the Quad core wouldn't cut prices, will the Dual core Conroe would cut cost for Apple, and still possibily get a speed increase(worse case would be the same speed)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I think we will see it in 2008 when Nelahem comes, along with Montevina. That will be way cool...

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I disagree, what we are asking is will Apple not only start using a desktop chip, but will the pick one that is a Quad Core Chip.

When Apple makes the desktop switch, it may end up quad core in almost every machine -- except the education and Mini models.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
50W TDP Clovertown processors are available. The iMac can handle that amount of heat but you're get a lot more fan noise.

You'd just need Intel to provide it in Socket M/P configurations.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
50W TDP Clovertown processors are available. The iMac can handle that amount of heat but you're get a lot more fan noise.

I would be all over that especially since, "These processors can be coupled with Intel's existing "Bensley" server platform and have been designed to be "drop-in" compatible with the existing Dual-Core and Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor families."

here: http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20070312comp.htm

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

There wouldn't that much of an increase in fan noise. After all, the current chips are about 35 W, and that is only "maximum" spec. The quad-core chips at idle only draw marginally power power than dual-core desktop chips in testing. It's only at maximum CPU usage that it draws noticeably more.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
There wouldn't that much of an increase in fan noise. After all, the current chips are about 35 W, and that is only "maximum" spec. The quad-core chips at idle only draw marginally power power than dual-core desktop chips in testing. It's only at maximum CPU usage that it draws noticeably more.
It'd be much more noisy at 100% load then Yonah and Merom. I know the fans can hit 5000 RPM inside the iMac. I've never seen them go over 2000 though.

How far does Xeon clock down in when idle?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.