Quad Core iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TapHappy, Nov 17, 2010.

1. TapHappy macrumors regular

Could you imagine a quad core iPhone! Wow that would be soooo cool! I wonder what developers could do with that kind of power!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

probably not much since the battery would be dead in 5 minutes.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

4. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

but guyzzzz...maw corez = maw powerzzzz...and then i can tell all my friendzz who haz android fonez dat iphone w/ 8 cores is da best!

stupid android fanboissss

5. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Nitrogen cooling would take care of the overheating problem.

Let's stick an nvidia graphics card with 4GB dedicated GDDR5 memory in while we're at it too!

6. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

About all they could do is get togethor and hope that some day iOS got true multitasking, otherwise 2 cores is overkill.

I like apple's hybrid multitasking/app parking implementation as is. They do need to improve the push notification engine, though.

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Maybe. They could call it the iPhad. Not quite an iPhone, not quite an iPad, but somewhere in the middle. Then all the people complaining about wanting a larger screen on the iPhone AND those wanting smaller iPads can collectively shut the hell up.

8. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Meh, duo quad core is where it's at. Now thats MAD POWER YO!

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Why not octocore? I mean, if you're dreaming you may as well go big.

10. Raj24v macrumors member

Dual quadcore IS octocore! Lol!

Stupid thread either way.

11. JulianL macrumors 65816

Either that, or a few more years of technology evolution will give us quad core within exactly the same power envelope as the current A4 and possibly even lower power consumption than now. I think that the OP's post is a valid and interesting one.

In 1999 I was at a high performance computing conference in Germany and I was talking over lunch with a group of researchers who were developing various smatphone apps. That's no big deal, what I thought was fascinating was the target hardware they were developing it for. Their "smartphone" hardware cost over $5 million dollars and wasn't quite pocketable, it took up an entire large room (it was a big Cray supercomputer, a T3E I think). They were a blue-sky research group that were designing apps for personal handheld devices that exploited that sort of computing power on the basis that at some point in the future that level of processing power would be available in a phone (actually at that time I think they were more thinking of PDAs since smartphones weren't really on the scene). I thought it was a fascinating piece of forward-looking research and I do wonder whether there are any similar projects going on today.

Apple is a huge company and I suspect that it has some sort of "Apple Labs" department that is tasked with fairly pure research (like the old AT&T Bell Labs, Xerox PARC etc). I wouldn't be at all surprised if such a research group in Apple is running something like a 16GB 8 core "iPhone" somewhere in a lab in Cupertino. It won't fit in anything like an iPhone case of course, it's probably in 1U racks, has forced air cooling to keep it cool, and it doesn't have a hope of running off batteries for longer than a couple of minutes, but I suspect that someone somewhere in Apple will be taking a peak into the more long term future of the product line even today.

- Julian

12. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Interesting concept...I could see something like that happening. Maybe not to those extremes you mentioned, but it seems feasible.

13. JulianL macrumors 65816

Yeah, maybe I was exaggerating a little for effect :) , but The concept is sound I think.

- Julian

14. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

How about just putting a 3G chip in the next macbook? Than we could have the biggest screen and the best specs! :eek::p

The flip phone is back! With a full-sized keyboard!

15. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

as it is the iphone feels warm in my pocket after long usage....imagine with that power it'd be like having a mini grill in your pocket.

16. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Let's focus on dual cores before we start thinking about quad cores...

17. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

let's focus on revising the antenna and matching our shades of white before we start thinking about cores period

18. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

What reason would anyone have for making a quad core PHONE?

19. JulianL macrumors 65816

I have trouble thinking of much but there are some things. Genuine continuous speech recognition that approaches 100% accuracy, and with enough power possibly even speaker independent as well as continuous.

Also, didn't Apple buy a company that is working on a fairly general purpose intelligent assistant app? Apps like that could ultimately use as much power as can possibly be thrown at them if they evolve to approximate unrestricted conversational input via continuous speech with spoken feedback.

Really most things that are in the realm of artificial intelligence can soak up vast amounts of CPU resource. I've already mentioned speech recognition and natural language understanding but image recognition would be another area that can take as much CPU as it can get to improve performance, scope of the application and accuracy of the results. I'm not sure exactly what it would be used for on a phone though.

- Julian