Quad-core Mac anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maddin4j, Jul 28, 2009.

1. maddin4j macrumors member

I am thinking about buying another MacBook Pro but I am patiently waiting for PORTABLE Quad-core Macs. I am aware of the fact that nobody knows if there will be any portable quad-core Macs, but I was just hoping if there are any signs of them to be released in the near future (i.e. next January?).
    I am currently using a 15" early 2008 MacBook Pro which I have for about 13 months now. However, its battery is pretty much dead. The graphics card (Nvidia 8600M GT) needs to be replaced, and the SuperDrive doesn't work anymore (which seems to be a common problem - http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1918925&start=105&tstart=0).

Do you think I that should stop waiting and buy another one? Or wait until january when Apple (I think) usually releases new hardware?

btw, my battery:
    [​IMG]

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There already is a quad core Mac, even an eight core Mac - Mac Pro.

But if you're talking about portable Macintosh computers, it is expected to get quad core CPUs in the first half of 2010.

Find already existing threads via MRoogle.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Quad core Macs have been available since 2005.

www.apple.com/macpro upto 8 cores.

For the MacBook Pro, a most likely date would be sometime next year. This year is possible but unlikely.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Laptops usually updated in late Fall. There will likely be no Mac quad core laptops this fall.

As always, check the Buyers Guide: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

5. maddin4j thread starter macrumors member

oh snap. I meant portable quad-core Macs. can't change the title...sry for that.
    The Core Duo 2 have been around for quite a while right? I hope quad-cores will come out for the MacBook/Pro

6. the vj macrumors 6502a

No any time soon...

The iMac doesn't even have quad core, less the mac book pro.

If it was that easy why my 8 cores mac pro would be so big with those many fans?

I mean, it would make the MBP too hot, it will suck all the batery... forget about it.

MBP are for something and MP for something else.

By the way...

My optical drive got damaged and my computer was already out of warranty and with no Apple care.

What did I do?

I photoshoped one of my receipt, change teh date and that was it, full warranty again.

If Apple is going to cheat on me with crappy products I cheat of them back.

2 weeks ago I did a system update, when the computer asked me to restart I said ok and it never ran again... the motherboard fried!

Start to photoshop your receipt and that is it.

7. ag55 macrumors regular

I dont think macbooks will have quad-cores anytime soon. They might get updated chips but not quad-cores.

The iMac possibly could though

8. maddin4j thread starter macrumors member

haha I am not going to photoshop my receipt though :)

I think you are right with the cooling problem. But there are already quad-core notebooks....but you are right. I have enough heating issues with my current MacBook Pro.

I don't think Apple will update their MacBook/Pro line this fall. They just did at WWDC so I don't think that this will happen.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    iMac possibly will see a quad core next. But I wouldn't hold my breath for a quad core Apple laptop anytime soon.. the chips are available, but the heat and cost just aren't in line with Apple's M.O.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Except the Buyer's Guide is about 10% accurate. The only thing it gets right is the iPod launch and we've been TOLD that.

Clarksfield is quad core. Clarksfield is a laptop processor. Clarksfield will be out in the fall.

But I still think they'll wait until Arrandale.

11. maddin4j thread starter macrumors member

When will Arrandale come out?

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

First quarter of 2010.

13. maddin4j thread starter macrumors member

that seems more likely..but could the heat really be such a BIG problem? I mean...if so than they will never have a MBP with a quad-core.

14. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Why wouldn't heat be a big issue?:rolleyes:

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The heat of Clarksfield? Heck, yes, it could be a problem. :p

Arrandale is dual-core, but it's Westmere and has comparable clocks to current Penryns. Clarksfield is 1.8 and 2 GHz; Apple won't drop a GHz for quad-core.

Just wait for Sandy Bridge or Haswell. Sandy Bridge is quad by default and Haswell is eight by default.

16. Shiner macrumors 6502

Wait for one year or maybe a year and a half. Apple tends to use very old technology in their laptops and only really cares about battery life and form. I bet apple will wait till the next major step in processors and then use them. For now most macbook pro users barely push their machine that hard. This is why apple offered pro laptops without graphic cards. The average apple user surfs the internet and reads email. There is no need to place a quad-core in a consumer laptop.

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Except they're using the most current Penryn processors in their notebooks right now... :confused:

18. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

without graphics cards? what are you talking about

not to mention the fact that the whole thread was above you talking about the heat and the improbabilities of quad core's coming to the MBP's anytime soon.

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

He doesn't think that the 9400M counts, even though the computer wouldn't work without it. Just ignore him.

20. Shiner macrumors 6502

Well I should stress in my next post "without dedicated graphics card". Sorry. This forum is the only one I am a part of that loves that horrible pathetic card. Mac people will defend that thing to the death. Anyways more to the point, mac will never go larger with their case and the current quad-cores require too much cooling. The next mobile quad core is too slow for apple to place in their lineup. Just as was stated above me, this means we must wait to sandybridge. That is a year away at least.

21. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

I was under the impression that 95% of people don't really need quad-core and many programs wouldn't make use of it yet- so quad-core at the time would make the computer slower for most tasks?

True- Tallest Skil? I don't know that much about this stuff though.

22. maddin4j thread starter macrumors member

so to sum up:

quad core portables would cause too much heat. They would eat up all the battery. they are too much for a regular/most users.

and all that pretty much means that they won't arrive until in a year or so..did I forget something?

23. iMacmatician macrumors 601

2011 with Sandy Bridge is my prediction. Reasons already stated above.

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Lest we forget the mobile Core 2 Quads as well.

25. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

I think thats it-I remember reading that most users are still better with faster dual-cores.