Quad-Core MBP 13" Coming Soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wendimc, Dec 6, 2014.

1. wendimc macrumors member

I am thinking about replacing my old 2009 MBP 15" and would really go a size smaller and get the 13". I travel with it a lot and would enjoy a smaller version. Thinking of getting the MBP 13" or the Air.
    The thing that bothers me about the MBP and Air 13" is that they only come with a dual-core processor. Do you guys think it is worth waiting a few more months in the hope that Apple releases a quad core version? What are the odds of that? I know this is speculative, but hope to get some feedback. I am undecided and can't make up my mind..

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

What do you do that would require a quadcore?

3. wendimc thread starter macrumors member

It would be mainly helpful for photoshop and HD video editing work I do on the go and still being able to multi-task. I also tend to keep my laptops for around 5 years, so looking forward it would be something to last me a while. I am working with bigger and bigger files and don't think a dual core will cut it for much longer.

4. ThereGoesPlanB macrumors newbie

Wow, what a great non-answer. I can't believe this currently has two upvotes.

I'd like a quad core 13" Macbook Pro for compiling software. 4 threads is anemic for large, parallel software builds, and I don't like the bulk of the 15".

wendimc, I doubt it will happen any time in the next few months. I think the next logical insertion point for a quad core 13" would be with the Broadwell based MBPs. However, the initial Broadwell-U parts appear to be exclusively dual core.

5. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

Ahh yes, the ol' I don't need it, so neither should you.

Why offer quad cores in the 15" then? :rolleyes:

6. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

If TDPs are as low as Intel is promising a quad core might happen with the 13". Definitely not happening with the air.

7. mcarling macrumors 65816

Intel could very easily offer 28W quad-core Broadwell CPUs, but it looks like they probably will greatly enhance the iGPU instead of going to quad-core this time.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

There is substantially more thermal dissipation possible in the 15" case, this is the serious limiting factor, in the 13" it requires much more fan usage, hence lower batt life on a charge (and there is less space for the batt capacity in the first place...).

So it is entirely dependant on the new quad-core thermal characteristics.

If you can wait then do...

----------

I think he was just after more information, which the OP was happy to provide. Too many on here offer advice without asking what the OP wants to run/achieve.

9. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

If that's the case, then I apologize to him. Too many on here are all too passive about the decisions Apple makes as if Apple knows best. Again, my apologies if that wasn't the case.

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Would be nice, but I doubt it will happen in the near future, Apple likes to differentiate their products smartly, as ultimately a quad-core 13" Retina will eat into the 15" MBP sales. Personally as a rule I always go with a 15" MBP, however last month I picked up a 2.8 - 512 13" Retina and to be honest I am very pleased with the performance, equally usage likely varies.

Same I wanted a smaller physical footprint as I travel a lot for business, now I have to option of both sizes which is useful.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

I see some people feel very strongly about their beloved four cores. :D

----------

Thank you, that was the intent of my question.

----------

No problem.
    Protect those cores! I also feel annoyed by :apple: taking away the quadcore option from the mini.

----------

You have good reasons for wanting a quadcore option.

:apple: is offering the configurations people need most and the vast majority is more than fine with dualcores. In fact quadcores would only have disadvantages for them.

The downside is, that it leaves you and others with the 15" as the only option.
    I wouldn't get my hopes up on the 13".

----------

The heat problem seems indeed responsible for the quadcore mini to have disappeared.
    That and the fact that most folks don't even utilize two cores.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It be nice to see it, but I don't think apple will do it. Just my unfounded opinion that apple uses the cores to differentiate the two models, i.e., smaller less expensive, vs. The larger pricier model.

I think most day to day activities could benefit from a quad core, and its too bad they don't use it for the MBP.

Just look at the weeping, moaning and the gnashing of teeth with apple going to dual core on the Mac Mini. Clearly people want/need a quad core (btw, I'm one of those who was weeping, moaning and the gnashing of teeth since I was waiting for the Mac Mini myself).

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Zero. Apple wouldn't want to cannibalise 15" sales.

And besides, the thermal capacity isn't sufficient for the current crop anyway.

14. Brian Y macrumors 68040

This. Right now, if you want a quad core, you have to spend more. Same goes for the dGPU - if you want a dGPU, then you have to buy the top end 15".

If they had QC in the 13", they will have lost sales of the already less popular 15".

15. wendimc thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your posts. This has been very helpful.
    I also appreciate Meister wanting to clarify my needs. Often people just want something better for the sake of it and you then need to gently nudge them in the right direction.
    Overall I get a sentiment that I am not the only one that would enjoy a quad core MBP 13".
    However, I now see that the odds for a quad core MBP 13" in 2015 must be very slim for all the reasons mentioned (heat dissipation, product differentiation,...).
    I think I will be keeping my current 09 MBP 15" and try to get two more years out of it and see what the future holds. At the very least the MBP's will probably get slightly lighter.

Thanks y'all!

16. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't bet on a quad-core 13" appearing any time soon.

17. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

You will have to wait for Skylake, if I recall correctly Skylake will offer quad cores with a tdp suitable for the 13 inch form factor.

18. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

That's what I'm waiting for. Sticking with the mid-2012 15" that I currently have until then.

19. Woochoo macrumors 6502

The 13" quad-core might come some day (might be with Skylake, there wouldn't be any excuses with it about thermal dissipation) or not. Because if it happens, Apple will have to push the 15" to the next level: maybe 4K? After seeing the iMac with a 5K res., it's plausible.
    Anyways, I wouldn't bet for anything since Apple is cappable of doing the best (Mac Pro, iMac retina) or the worst (nerfing Mac Mini, soldering RAM in almost all laptops even in a desktop one, making a 1300€ "Pro" laptop with 128GB of disk, or releasing same iPhone the next year at almost same price changing its alluminum for cheap plastic).

Well, related to some people comments (the same kind of people that judges the other's requirements in first instance) there'll always be someone that thinks 4GB RAM and dual core is OK for everyone, but some people have higher requirements... We're talking about a Pro laptop gamma, not about iPods or casual stuff.

20. mcarling macrumors 65816

Every Tick cycle approximately doubles the number of transistors per square centimeter. Intel apportions that progress among several competing options:
    1) make the die smaller to use less power,
    2) add more cores,
    3) increase cache size, and
    4) increase integrated GPU performance.

For the last couple of Ticks, Intel has allocated the lion's share of the available improvements to increasing GPU performance, with shrinking the die size and reducing power consumption secondary, with not a lot of progress in adding cores or increasing cache sizes. This is a strategic move for Intel. One of Intel's strategic priorities is completing the transition from discrete GPUs to integrated GPUs. Once that is done, Intel will refocus on adding cores and increasing cache sizes in addition to reducing power consumption by reducing die sizes.

My guess is the latest that we'll see quad-core parts of 28W or less is Cannonlake in 2016 or 2017.

21. yjchua95 macrumors 604

By the time Skylake comes around, if the rMBP will have a quad-core CPU, then the 15" would have an octa-core CPU.

And then a handful of people would start clamouring for octa-core CPUs in the 13".

Let's face it. The 13" will always have half the number of cores of the 15", because Apple wouldn't want to cannibalise sales of the 15".