Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freakyTaj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
how feasible is this....?
wonder if the core2 duo chip can be ditched for a quad core one.

The mbp has a very specific thermal envelope. As computing power increases, so does the mechanism by which heat is removed/prevented.

If the quadcores have additional powersaving features which do NOT impact performance, then it might happen, but I doubt those power saving features would not have an impact on performance. For instance, I doubt you could run all four cores at 100% because even one millisecond of that would cause serious thermal issues.

In that case, the c2d would be faster than a quadcore.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
The mbp has a very specific thermal envelope. As computing power increases, so does the mechanism by which heat is removed/prevented.

If the quadcores have additional powersaving features which do NOT impact performance, then it might happen, but I doubt those power saving features would not have an impact on performance. For instance, I doubt you could run all four cores at 100% because even one millisecond of that would cause serious thermal issues.

In that case, the c2d would be faster than a quadcore.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/04/16/HNintelbeyondsantarosa_1.html

"Also on Intel's roadmap is a quad-core Penryn mobile processor to be released during 2008, aimed at high-level gaming and mobile workstations, where users are willing to trade battery life for more performance. The chip is unlikely to find its way into most notebooks for some time."

Not until 2008, and probably later, more like the next die shrink where thermal issues are less than with the 45nm Penryn, 2009-2010

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
um my core 2 duo runs hot as hell i wouldnt want 4 cores

More cores is not necessarily equated to more heat.
With shrinking die sizes you can use the same amount of energy to run four cores as to run two.

The Penryn chips, of course, are not being aimed at being power savers and are also upping the frequencies (I believe the ones lately being tested are running at 3.33ghz, quite a bit higher than the 2.33ghz we're using).

Episteme

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2007
More cores is not necessarily equated to more heat.
With shrinking die sizes you can use the same amount of energy to run four cores as to run two.

The Penryn chips, of course, are not being aimed at being power savers and are also upping the frequencies (I believe the ones lately being tested are running at 3.33ghz, quite a bit higher than the 2.33ghz we're using).

Bear in mind not all Penryn cores are for mobile systems; it also encompasses the rest of the next-gen Core 2 processor line.

The 3.33GHz parts currently being talked up at the moment are desktop parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.