Quad Core Mini/iMacs look possible

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Spanky Deluxe, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Since the new Mini and iMacs now use Socket P, it looks like it might be possible to upgrade them to quad core (assuming the processors aren't soldered in).

Suitable processors would be Q9000 2.0GHz, Q9100 2.26GHz and QX9300 2.53GHz.

I know this isn't really necessary for most people but I thought the idea of having a machine about as powerful as the first gen mac pro in a machine the size of a Mini is quite impressive. So for ~£1k, one could have a Mac Mini with 4 cores and 4GB of RAM. The Mini can also now drive a 30" ACD with the adapter.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I can't wait to see the mods and pray they're still socketed. :D

3. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

4. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

5. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I sure wouldn't have the guts to try it, but I'd love to see it if someone does! :)

6. Drumerdude macrumors member

7. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I was planning on finally replacing my Mac Pro and 30"ACD with a new Mac Pro and 30" LED display. The new Mac Pros are overpriced, the octo base model looks like its got too low a clock speed to be of a significant upgrade to me and a new 30" display hasn't been released so my Mac Pro upgrade has been put on ice.
    Had the Mini price points remained as they were, however, I would have entertained the idea of getting a base model and throwing a quad core in there and running my 30" ACD with it - at least until the Mac Pro line gets repriced or respecced.

8. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I know this is a dead thread, but whats the chances of the q9100 running in a 2009 24" iMac with the e8435? Same sockets but the TDP is 10w higher on the q9100 (due to the nature of it being quad core).

These chips are $130 now, and would love to throw one in my iMac.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You would be looking for a LGA 775 based 65W Core 2 Quad. Now I am sure you would be able to install it but the microcode in the EFI to run it is another story. You would have better luck with the fastest Core 2 Duo E8600 or even a E8700 if you could ever find one of those.

The OP's processors are for Socket P or worse BGA.