Quad Core MPB, when?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xper, Oct 19, 2008.

1. xper macrumors 6502

xper

Simple question alright, when do you think it will come?

2. Mighuel macrumors member

I think not for a while. Late next year possibly...

3. jTreu macrumors 6502

I dont think intel makes a quad core mobile processor yet, do they?

4. xper thread starter macrumors 6502

xper

Its in the works, it was even official in April or earlier this year.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I very much doubt that we'll see it until well into next year.

Cheers

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes they do. The QX9300, but it's $1000 more than the T9600, so I find it unlikely Apple will use it.

7. jTreu macrumors 6502

oh, well I stand corrected, thanks. And that's a lot of money for a processor, I wonder how much performance difference it makes in real world stuff, especially since a lot of programs aren't even optimized for multi core yet.

8. commander.data macrumors 6502a

Not for another year. Probably when Intel goes 32nm. The current quad core mobile chips use a 45W TDP, while the highest Apple has ever used before is a 35W TDP. Intel is going to launch a low-end 2GHz mobile quad core in Q1 2009 and that one might have a 35W TDP given it's low clock speed. However, at that time Intel will also be launching a 2.93GHz Core 2 Duo to replace the current 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo and a 2.67GHz Core 2 DUo to replace the current 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo. Given a choice between a 2.93GHz Core 2 Duo or even a 2.67GHz Core 2 Duo and a 2GHz Core 2 Quad, I think most people will choose a Core 2 Duo and it would be the faster choice in most cases too. Grand Central may help, but I'm pretty sure Grand Central is meant to ease multitheaded development of new apps rather than miraculously make all current single threaded applications multithreaded. Good single and dual-threaded performance will still be critical to overall system performance for the forseeable future.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Nehalem/Clarksfield quad-core mobile processor from Intel is due to be released late 2009. If and when it shows up in a MBP is anyone's guess.

10. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

I think I am going to hold out on upgrading from my original Core Duo Macbook until quad-core Macbooks come out (that hopefully will also support 8GB of RAM). My current Macbook is a little slow running some stuff, but it is still quite usable and it is under AppleCare until May. If I can stretch out another year out of this thing, that would be awesome.

11. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

lol, not the one coming tho..maaaaaaayyyyyyyybe next one????

12. sk47 macrumors member

13. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Not too soon. Instead Apple will make the MacBook Pro thin like a MacBook Air & leave away all of these useless ugly ports. And quad-core won't fit into a case that thin anytime soon. But that's ok because nobody needs quad-core or ports on a pro machine anyway, it needs to be thin baby!

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They already have the MacBook Air for that, so there's no need to strip-down the MBP for thinness. The ports are hardly "useless"! FW800 is vital for high-speed file transfers on external hard drives, as well as many other devices that use FW. USB is vital for mice, phones, cameras, etc. Ethernet is critical for networking computers together for huge file transfers. Maybe you don't use any of those, but the vast majority of MBP owners use some or all of these ports. As for quad-core, see how many in these forums are already clamoring for more performance and you'll find your "nobody needs..." statement is completely false.

15. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Late 09 Early 010, possible late 09 as a 17" BTO Option, then Early 10 Stock on 17", BTO on 15"?

16. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I think you missed the sarcasm!

17. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

haha. I'm afraid that a quad core in a MBP would make that thing so hot that it'll catch on fire.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You never can tell, unless they add the :rolleyes: as a hint!
    Already announced: "Apple's new Quad-Core MacBook Pros will ship with a free case of marshmallows!" :D

19. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

As yetanotherdave noticed, my previous comment was sarcastic. Sorry for any confusion, you are right, I should have made the sarcasm smiley (-> :rolleyes: ).