Quad Core or Dual Core for Logic Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdek, Dec 3, 2011.

1. jdek macrumors newbie

It's time to upgrade and I'm uncertain whether to opt for a dual or quad core processor for audio work. Does logic use threading?

I'm in a position where I want to use this machine for multiple tasks, and my understanding is that Quad-Cores only benefit certain applications. If I'm going to be working on audio, but then other times working on word processing, downloading, browsing, and running multiple yet simple applications simultaneously, would an i7 dual core of 2.66g be faster than a 2.0gh quad core?

Excuse my ignorance. Also please direct me if this has been outlined elsewhere.

Curiously in MBP's when was quadcore introduced?

Thanks!

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

The 2.0 Quad core will be faster but for audio production it isn't necessary. I run heavy logic projects on my Mid 2010 MBP with a 2.53GHZ Core i5, dual core. I Would recommend upgrading to 8GB of ram though, and possibly a 7200 RPM Hard Drive.

3. mark28 macrumors 68000

Logic Pro does support Multicores, but it makes poor use of them.

4. teknikal90, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Not true. Quad core processors make a massive difference.
    The Quad Core MBPS have amazing power when it comes to logic.
    http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/371545-logic-pro-multicore-benchmarktest.html

The new MacBooks are reaching 60+ simultaneous tracks - Mac Pro level performance...

edit:as you can see, the quad cores can handle projects with more than double the amount of tracks (which in the real world = more plug ins on each track before the CPU starts complaining)

5. mark28 macrumors 68000

False. In real projects, Logic doesn't spread heavy load evenly across cores which can max out 12 core systems despite alot of cores not being maxed.

In that "benchmark", very light stuff is done which is the optimal situation.

You're not going to get twice the amount of power in real world usage.

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Always buy more than you'll need if you expect to have the product longer than 1 day...People always come in here and say "You don't need that much computer" but honestly if you on MR and even getting your feet wet in processor, RAM, and in general, just computer intensive uses you need something more than what 19 year old John Smith does with his 15" MacBook Pro. I have a 13" 2010 Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with 6gigs of RAM and I video edit. If I could have an octocore mac pro with 96gigs of RAM and quadruple RAID'ed crucial SSD 512GB drives I would.....better to bring in the tanks and artillery and not need it, than to not bring them and need it IMHO.

7. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I guess that applies to every benchmark - optimal situations
    I don't know, I have a dual core and a quad core and in mainstage, I can literally run circles around the dual core

8. frankieflowers macrumors newbie

I'm confused

I have a MBP 13" 2.53 Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 Gb ram and I run Logic 9.1.6 on it. I want to buy a MCP 13" 2.9 i7 that 4 core with 8 Gb ram but I keep on reading about people struggling with Logic running on Lion and especially 32 bit plugins not working or that has been lost because not 64 bit...
    I need a platform that can open all my plugins and actually i don't know which ones has been updated to 64 bit use.
    That's why I was thinking to keep my MBP and simply change the HD to a 750GB 7200 RPM and upgrade the ram to 8 Gb that apparently would be used only by 64 bit applications...but as i wouldn't use them then...not worth buying it? it doesn't make any sense to use Logic 9 running 64 bit with together with 32 bit plugins on an old computer.
    Is a quad core i7 going to give me a big improvement in terms of CPU compared to my Dual Core?? Should I stick to my old WORKING configuration or should I take the risk and spend hours testing a system that everybody complains about?? I really don't know what to do. Please help me figure it out. Thanks

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Way to comment on nearly 2 year old thread but...
    I honestly dont recommend working on a 13in for Logic.
    C2D is pretty old now and I suggest getting at least an i5 with over 8GB DDR3.
    Logic uses more RAM rather than CPU power.