quad core or dual core?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by snavron, Jan 25, 2015.

1. snavron macrumors newbie

Hello folks,

I recently bought a dual core g5 2.3 GHz / 5gb ram and 250 GB HD and I'm really enjoying the ppc experience. I'm not doing anything exotic with it - browsing/ e-mail/minor editing. My question is that I've spotted a quad core with similar specs for about the same money. Given I only paid around £50 I can probably easily sell the DC . My question is whether there any real benefit to the QC. I'm just interested because of the engineering and having a liquid cooled machine. In terms of day to say usage, reliability, power usage is there any marked difference?
    I guess this may boil down to opinions but that's what forums are for.

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

First thing - it's not a quad core - it has a pair of dual-core processors.
    Second thing - the liquid cooling systems are now nearly 10 years old and often give trouble. Use the search button, there's a wealth of information in this subforum.

3. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

The G5 Quad is the fastest PowerPC Apple made - unless it's a pile of junk I'd grab it. Yes, the LCS could pack up and or/leak but for £50 it's worth a shot.
    I wouldn't say there's a massive difference using the Quad on everyday stuff, other than more efficient multitasking but when you have some real work to do in multi-processor aware apps, then the Quad comes into it's own.
    Also, when I had mine, it flew on the standard 'but can it play HD Youtube?' test :)

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The 2.3 is really a fast G5. You will only really see an improvement in multi-core/multi-CPU apps. The Quad did have the most reliable LCS, but keep in mind it is about 10 years old at this point and anything can fail.

5. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

If it had the bad cooling unit, it would have blown up by now. That doesn't mean it won't blow up and spew goo, but your chances are good that you don't have the bad unit. I wonder if it will last much longer, though, so buyer beware.

That being said, there is a spot where they will show you how to convert it to an air cooled system, but the question becomes whether or not it is worth the effort to do it.

6. snavron thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips chaps. I have done a fair bit of searching on the forums and the web in general but its great to get some specific advice. The DC I bought (from the same seller) is a great machine so I don't really need the extra oomph but there is something compelling about having the fastest available G5 for the price of a night out!

I'll just keep an eye on the QC (it's on the 'bay) and I'll no doubt make a last minute decision about whether to take a punt or not. :)

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose