Quad core possibility in 2011 MBP - a poll.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiltrip, Dec 26, 2010.

?

Quad core possibility in 2011 MBP?

1. Quad will be the standard for all 15" and 17" models.

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. Quad will be available only on the highest priced 15" model.

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. Quad will be available only as an optional upgrade on the highest priced 15" and 17".

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  4. There will be no quad cores on the MBP in 2011.

31 vote(s)
    72.1%
  1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Whattaya think?

I'm hoping to see it standard on all the 15"ers. But I know I'm dreaming. I'm semi-realistically hoping to be able to get a quad for 2000 or less.

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Without a SSD or software, the flagship i7 15 inch MBP is about 3 grand and I doubt it will be cheaper with a quad core processor.

Also, there are debates regarding the heat generated, if capability over the current i7 would be substantial enough for users to pay even more than the 3 grand i7, battery life, and costs. The 15MBP i7 when benchmarked with quad core laptops performs as well, if not better.

4. skiltrip, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Great thread. But that is for predictions across the board. I'm specifically interested in people's thoughts about the CPU. And yes, I'm sure it's been discussed at length, here and there. But I wanted to simplify it to a poll form.
    Thanks though!

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Obviously, Sandy Bridge will feature quad core processors, but, less than a year and probably in mid-early-mid 2011, we are going to see Ivy Bridge which will make quad core processors a standard and will dramatically lower the price on quad cores. Additionally, 8 core processors will start gaining momentum and with the future 'shrink' and cooling improvements, it's possible an 8 core CPU can be crammed into a laptop as small as the MBP.

With Ivy Bridge expected to make more impact than Sandy Bridge and to reduce the price on more powerful processors, the MBP may not have a substantial upgrade this year as it is going to take a lot of resources and research/testing if you are going to 8 cores. Also, Ivy Bridge is going to come out pretty soon.

6. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

And as of now, they ain't too battery friendly either.

8. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

And iMacs.

9. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

you have to be on LSD And Weed to even think apple will put quad cores in their laptops.

10. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Really? LSD and weed?

11. pooprscooper macrumors regular

I believe the answer lies in the chart below:
    [​IMG]
    Apple's MBPs don't use more than 35W. They would need to increase thickness in order to accommodate 45W which isn't something they're likely to do.

12. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Absolutely 100% guarantee this will never happen as the TDP is way too high and the power drain way to much.
    Maybe in 2012. But the TDP needs to drop a LOT first unless they make low voltage models in which case a quad core will be a waste of money and time anyway as my dual core would smoke it.

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Ivy Bridge is supposed to see the introduction of low voltage quad cores that produce lesser heat and also make the quad core a standard feature instead of an option. Ivy Bridge may come out pretty soon though as the power usage of the Sandy Bridge quads make its application in mobile units limited. I am sure they are gonna be HOT also.

55 watts? LOLOLOLOLOL I don't think people would be too happy if a MBP was released with a battery that lasts half of the previous model. People complain about the heat MBPs make already...this wouldn't help it much.