quad core powermac g5 vs 17 inch mpb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rroback, Feb 21, 2009.

1. rroback macrumors member

I'm thinking about selling my powermac g5, and I'm wondering how it would compare to a new, 17'' mbp. It's for extensive photoshop work, and video work.

Here's the comparison
    Current g5, quad core, 2.5ghz, 16 gb ram, dual 500 gb drives ( the apple ones)

theoretical mbp:
    2.9ghz, 8 gig ram, 256 ssd.

I would think the new intel chips on the mbp would help a lot, but would a new dually beat an old quad? Obviously, a new mac pro would beat the mbp, but I'm hoping to get rid of a big clonky desktop ( and just have my mba, and mbp).

2. children macrumors regular

it would smoke it..
    not much of a comparison here..

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not always so; it depends on what apps the OP will be running; if the OP is going to be running legacy PPC apps, the G5 may actually be faster.

However if it's just Photoshop, then it would be compareable. Don't underestimate the power of PPC.

4. rroback thread starter macrumors member

So, we've got a vote for comparable (I'm assuming that means equal time for rendering etc), and a vote for saying the intel would smoke it.

Assume always newest versions of photoshop/aperture/lightroom/final cut.

I look at the system and I think ram is comparable ( mbp has less, but 16 gig isn't really even used, plus ddr3 is faster), chip is questionable, but ssd is definitely faster then my big clunkers.

Anyone else have any input?

5. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

My Mac Mini outperforms your G5. You would be wise to unload the G5 as it is basically obsolete. Chances are you won't get as much as a Mac Mini would sell for. I see them for sale often and people simply don't want to buy them. Everything is going Intel--newer software is on supported on the old platforms.

To compare a G5 with a MBP is like comparing a 2009 ZR1 with like a 350Z. Both are good machines, but one can't keep up with the other.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not graphically, it doesn't. That's a little bit important for Photoshop.

7. rroback thread starter macrumors member

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Kind of a waste if 95% of the time ur 17" will b on a desk. Id just be worried about all the new programs coming out and all the really cool ones not supporting PPC. But whatever you want, we all know you wanna have a new 17" real bad.

9. Ploki macrumors 68000

its not a waste. its a "portable desktop" in a way.
    well.. id say "get a refurbished MP" but since you dont want a desktop, i say go for the 17" intel.
    snow leopard is rumored to have a system to utilize ALL processors in the machine (that includes the 9600m (i wonder if theyll make it 9400+9600?) so where your ppc could pick up on leopard, it certainly wont on Snow Leopard because its also rumored that Snow Leopard is NOT PPC compatible.
    so, next OS is a performance update, and it works only on Intel.

its safe to say apple is slowly dropping support for PPC.
    and other will follow very quickly...

+ssd isnt actually faster, it has faster read speeds and doesnt suffer such fragmentation issues but it does have puny write speeds :)

10. rroback thread starter macrumors member

no doubt I want a 17 inch, but I must make sure it makes business sense. I know eventually I'll have to upgrade, and I'm certainly at the point that programs will soon all be ppc incompatible. Don't worry, the 17 would come off the desk quite frequently, as I currently take my air to shoots, but it lacks a bit of a processing power, even for the super-super quick and crude edits.

11. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

If you run the CS4 suite - then the MBP will beat your G5 Powermac hands-down.

The whole suite is more-or-less geared to Intel macs, and will run very very nicely on the 17" MBP.

We tried running InDesign CS4 on a PowerMac similar to your setup in our studio, and it was so slow we put the intern on a 15" MBP hooked up to a monitor. It takes forever to load up to. There's really no reason to stick with G5 line of Macs anymore.