Quad Cores in the Next MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drexl5, Jan 12, 2011.

1. drexl5 macrumors member

Right now i have a Imac i7 and 13inch mbp bought both around september. So do you guys think the next update will bring quad core cpus to the laptop lineup. If the 15 or 17 inch model has a quad core i would consider selling both my Imac and current mbp and pickup a quad core mbp and taking whats left over maybe getting a ipad and pocketing the rest if any left pending how good of a seller i am. Do you guys think thy will have the quad Cores

2. michaelshen macrumors newbie

Of course. The high-end 15" or 17" must have Quad Core Sandy Bridge processor.

And the iPad 2 and iPhone 5 are likely to have Duo Core processors.

2011 is for performance enhancement.

:cool:

3. skiltrip macrumors 68030

We can only hope. Not so sure about 2 cores in the iDevices. They still got plenty of room to up the clock in the single core before they need to consider adding a 2nd.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

5. bossmanjunior macrumors member

bossmanjunior

i could see apple adding a quad core BTO option midway through the year like they did with the 2.8 i7. but in all honesty, unless they take out a component (hdd), they wont be able to fit in the appropriate increase in battery and cooling mechanism. ivy bridge will make quads standard.

heres hoping that i'm wrong

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

A quad core would be one of the only things I'd trade the optical drive for. I want them to keep the DVD drive in there, but if losing it means I get a quad core laptop that will equal or even out-perform my 3 yr. old Q6600 PC, then I'm very interested.

7. alt macrumors regular

Why would you NEED to give up your opti drive for...a processor thats the same size?

8. bossmanjunior macrumors member

bossmanjunior

heat (45w vs 35w)

9. alt macrumors regular

Still don't think its going to matter. If you are saying there needs to be more room for cooling..OKAY. But if you are saying that the opti drive + the quad will generate TOO much heat. That's just wrong.

10. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I'm not an electrical engineer, I'm just a musician. I'll gladly take both a quad and my optical drive. I won't complain.

11. alt macrumors regular

I don't think I really NEED an opti drive anymore...but I still like it to be there. Just sayin'

12. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I use mine enough that I want it to continue to be there. Having a dongle USB DVD drive would be a pain in the arse.

13. alt macrumors regular

I agree.

14. nutmac macrumors 68040

I think you will get your wish. All of Sandy Bridge early reviews measured improvements in both battery life and heat for quad mobile processors. Although TDP (thermal design power) is indeed higher (35W vs 25W), keep in mind that TDP measures maximum the processor dissipates. In vast majority of benchmark scenarios, SB quad dissipated less than i5 dual.

15. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I'm hoping for a quad core Verizon iPhone 5!

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Actually, it is not.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Glossary/T/Thermal_Design_Power_(TDP).html

I know it doesn't matter because the case is the same for all CPUs.

I would like to see those benchmarks. AT's article is showing up to 57.85W power consumption, which sounds reasonable (28.5% more than the reported 45W)

[​IMG]

17. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I hope they do get them... just in time for me to purchase a 15" MBP to replace my poor, tired White MacBook (The things Final Cut does to a machine with integrated Intel graphics is just sad).

18. bossmanjunior macrumors member

bossmanjunior

just wondering, when was the last time apple increased the 35W TDP on processors. it seems like they have had that requirement going back to C2D for a while now. im wondering if that is a hard limit, and is 45W really too much of an increase?

19. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

They've redesigned the insides of the Unibody Macbooks a couple of times before. *shrug*

20. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Supposedly, some laptops are about to see more than 4 cores all capable of hyperthreading. That would really suck for us between USB3/BluRay/HDMI/Dual Core :(

21. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

My real question is (I have two questions), if Apple does offer the Sandy Bridge quad-core i7 option as a processor configuration for their 15" and 17" models, they will probably be looking at the following processors, right?

2630QM 2.0GHz Quad-Core 6MB L3 Cache
    2720QM 2.2GHz Quad-Core 6MB L3 Cache
    2820QM 2.3GHz Quad-Core 8MB L3 Cache

(these are all the 45W TDP processors, excluding the 2710QE and 2715QE)

And what kind of prices will we be looking at for these quad-core configurations? Are we talking $2500? $2700? $3000? Just what kind of price range are we looking at here?

22. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I highly doubt it.
    even the entry level mobile quad SB has a TDP of 45W, in comparison the current i7/i5 have a TDP of 35W, and I'm sure everyone remembers the endless "omg my MBP is overheating" threads on here?

23. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

^^ If it goes to quad core, I would bet the farm that the cooling mechanism would have to be drastically different. With that said, using aluminum makes a tougher laptop but also one that is hotter to the touch, so the current case would need changing and possibly even heat shielding to keep from burning the user if we are looking at 45+ watts. Also, the thin profile of the MBP makes cooling design more difficult as well. Now can it be done? I'm sure. Apple may wait till Ivy Bridge, but we'll see. The next MacBook needs some major revisions anyway or else a lot of prospective buyers are going to walk away, so why not gear a design that either can or will accommodate quad core?

24. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I'm almost certain. Quad core for entry the entry level segment, 8 core for high-end mainstream, 16 core for servers :eek:

25. 73CortinaV8 macrumors 6502

highly unlikely.

Why? These machines scream already. Faster drive IO would be a bigger win than 4 cores (a la the new air).

Also:

-too much heat for such a small package.

-they'd have to update the power bricks again.

Maybe in the 17.

I so doubt it though.