Quad-CPU & 8GB Laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBX, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBX macrumors 65816

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Actually, the current range of Santa Rosa based laptops will support upto 8Gb's of RAM, it's been proven by someone who has too much money and too much time to spare. Guess the only thing we're really waiting for is more cores and cheaper RAM modules.

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't think professionals mind the costs of the ram as long as you're able to put in more than 4gb. There are always thirdparty suppliers too.

Let's hope we'll see a upgraded Macbook Pro line with the quad & 8gb possible at MWSF09.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

That's really good to know. I know the originals only supported 2 GB, then 3 GB; I'd been wondering about these models, since they do have 64-bit CPUs and the 3 GB issue was addressed.... Apple has been known (many times) to understate the max memory of their computers... like the Power Mac 9600 (apple claimed 768 MB, actual max 1.5 GB, Beige G3s Apple claimed 192 MB, actual 768 MB, etc).

This means a couple years down the road when RAM prices on 4 GB DDR2 modules have dropped it'll be reasonable to get 8 GB :)

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, someone has proven that when you install 8 GB, the machine crashes as soon as the OS accesses more than 4096 MB of memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.