Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rockies Photo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Greetings Everyone.

I just purchased a Quad G5, from the original owner. Original owner, stated, that the machine was in excellent condition, and had not had any problems, nor parts replaced under Apple Care Warranty. Twice today, I had programs crash. 1st crash involved Photoshop CS3 Ext. 2nd Crash, involved FireFox & Photo Mechanic, which then I received a message from within OS X, to restart my tower.

I am quite surprised about the crashes, and do not know what to do, nor expect. Before, I received the G5, the HDD was wiped, with a fresh install of 10.5.6...

I'm also having a Bus Power issue. Before the G5, I had an aluminum keyboard, plugged into my iMac C2D, and I had no problem with Bus power, driving either my Thumb Drive or HDD, but with the Keyboard, hooked to the G5, I'm getting insufficient power warnings. WTF, is going on?

Also, my 23" ACD will not go to sleep. I've got the screen saver set to 3 mins, which does come up, and the time set to 10 mins, for the display to go to sleep. However, when it hits the 10 min threshold, the screen blinks off for a second, then reverts to the active desktop, and the cycle begins again.

Also, with the 23" ACD, I'm seeing, what appears to be a ghosting effect, when I have apps layered on top of each other. It has been occurring with various apps, such as having Photo Mechanic on bottom, then Firefox on top, then Photoshop on top of it. Its' weird.

Any & all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
10.5.6 sucks. Try to downgrade to 10.5.5.

Also, you may need to get the better video card there are two the 4500 and the 7800. Ran it on my quad fine.

I just downgraded to 10.5.5 for this reason.

You also may be having a power failure on the QUad, very common. May still be covered by Apple. Make sure you are plugged into a proper powersource, protected.

Dzokayi

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
also couldn't hurt...

...to reseat the RAM and video card. If you didn't transport the machine in its original packaging, something could have worked itself a wee bit loose.

I'd also wipe it clean and do my own OS install, you never know how they did it.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.