Quad G5 trade for Intel Mac!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SuperKerem, Mar 30, 2015.

1. SuperKerem, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015

SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Edit: Mods, move this to the marketplace if you want!
    Edit 2: If your Intel Mac doesn't support 10.10/have a Core 2 Duo, post a reply anyway!

(Last one, I promise!)
    Hello everyone, and as some of you may know, I have a Power Mac G5 Quad. It is is great conditiom, works flawlessly and there are no signs of leakage etc.

I would like to trade it with any model Intel iMac or MacBook Pro/Air (or Mac Pro), in good to outstanding condition with no faults. It should have a Core 2 Duo or better, and be able to support OS X 10.10.

Pickup in London. The Quad G5s are especially rare in the UK, so this may be worth it to many people.

Please let me know if you have any questions or offers!

(To Mods: I don't think this has to be on the Marketplace as there is no money involved, right?)

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

$150 Power Mac G5 ~ $600 MacBook Air.

Good luck man :) Going to be a tough hunt. I like my PPCs & Intels but I wouldn't trade my MBP for a G5.

3. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

No, Marketplace also deals with trades, so this would have to go there :(
    You have access to the marketplace though so it should be no problem.

----------

Question... would you take a 15" Mid-2009 MacBook Pro with not fully functional keyboard (esc, `, tab, F2, 2, and W, don't work) and glitchy trackpad (sometimes it glitches, and it takes a hard push to click)? And battery of ~40% health? Because this is the Mac I have.
    I was just wondering, though of course I would not trade.

'nother question... Would you take a 20" Early-2009 iMac that has defective sensors causing some of the fans to run at full speed? Just wondering, thought I wouldn't trade.

Yet another question... Are you planning to trade the G5 with keyboard, mouse, and display, or only the machine itself?

4. SuperKerem, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015

SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

The 2006-7 non unibody MPBs sell for less than 200 dollars now. When I say an Intel Mac, I obviously don't mean a 2015 Retina Quad Core i7 MacBook Pro...come on man.
    2006-8 iMac C2Ds, especially the lower spec models sell for a good amount less than the Quad G5.

And what's more, there are thousands of these Intel macs worldwide, while in the UK Quad G5s are very hard to find. So when you think about it, it's not a tough hunt at all, it just depends if there's someone here who has an older Intel Mac lying around.

----------

Ok, next time I will post in the marketplace, hopefully the mods don't delete this thread though!

To answer your questions:
    1. I would have to think carefully, as much of the MBP's exterior hardware is damaged, I'm guessing a liquid spillage? I mean the setup wouldn't be pretty, but it would be reasonably more powerful than the quad. It depends on if a fix is possible I guess.
    2. Yeah, I probably would.
    3. It depends, I could ship it with the 21' 1080p HP monitor (bought last year) and wireless mouse that I am using, but it would depend on what is being traded. If the person who wants to trade is generous and will put the quad to good use, there's no reason not to.

The iMac with the faulty fans, just how loud is it? If you decide to trade it I can include the 1080p monitor (which cost me £120 in the first place), and trade the Quad with 6GB RAM.
    PM me if you are interested.

5. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

You are asking for more than what your machine is worth. And mind you, to find a Yosemite capable Mac is not as cheap as you think. 2007 iMacs are still worth $250+ on the low side. To pay that in equal value to a G5 is a one off thing and will be stunned if somebody actually does (for an Intel Mac in "good to outstanding condition").

It's the 2006 models that cannot run Yosemite that are cheap, not the 2007 models that are worth a good chunk of money these days still.

6. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Ok man, look, I'm not here looking for an argument. If you aren't interested that's fine. I don't mind if no-one decides to trade, I'm in no rush. There might be someone who's interested, you never know.

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I think it'll be tough trying to find a regular consumer willing to trade. If you can find someone who deals with used computers, he/she may accept a trade- but probably not without you throwing some money down.

I've been using my Mac Pro 1,1 all week for the first time in ages. It's from 2006 and still handles everything I throw at it... with the exception of OS X 10.8+ but that can be remedied with a new graphics card and some tweaking. These guys sell for like $200 in the US, I'm not sure overseas, but it's probably your best bang for your buck.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

An Intel Mac that can run 10.10+ and all the latest Mac software in exchange for a PPC Mac that maxes out at 10.5.8 and is limited to mostly older software? I'll pass, but good luck!

To be fair the Quad G5 does have some good things going for it. The ability to upgrade the GPU, more powerful CPU than some of the early C2Ds (especially the 2008 MBA), plus it can take 16 GB RAM. You might find someone willing to make the trade.

9. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Hmm, thanks. I'll look around, but do used computer shops even accept trades?

10. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

I do have a Yosemite capable mac id be willing to trade for your quad G5 but it doesn't meet the rest of your criteria. (its mid 2007 macbook pro 15 inch that is a bit dinged up and has been re flowed twice be me it does have a fresh battery with only 20ish cycles)

11. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Yeah, I know but there might be a collector out there who wants the most powerful PowerPC Mac produced or something? I know it's a long shot but...

Also, Quad G5s are RARE in the UK. Back in 2005 Apple wasn't as well known over here and few people were interested in paying thousands of pounds for a top of the line Apple computer which was only sold for less than a year. Of course it's different in the U.S. though.

----------

Cool! Have you got any pictures available just so I can see what kind of condition it's in? If the condition isn't that bad and it works, it should be fine I guess.

12. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

a couple of the corners have been dented in a bit one corner is so shiny i can see my self in it and its quite scratched up (its how i got the machine. it cost me £150 and that was a good deal at the time lol) its missing all of its case screws and has just enough internal ones to hold everything in if it helps with the deal im willing to throw in 4GB of ram and maybe a 64GB SSD (id love a G5 quad LOL) also one last thing I cannot come and pick up the G5 quad you would have to bring it here.

Attached Files:

13. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I sold my Quad last year on ebay (desperate times) - it went for £102 - it was immaculate and had 6Gb ram.
    This year I failed to find a decent condition early C2D Macbook for anywhere near £200.
    Not making any comment other than that was my personal experience of a similar situation.
    As ever, If you can be patient, the right deal will come along.

14. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Send a couple more pictures, and we might just have a deal :)
    Apart from the missing case screws and dents, is it working properly? E.g. are there any other issues?
    Is it possible to buy replacement screws or something?
    Feel free to PM me, and a couple more pictures of the bottom and stuff would be great!

15. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

Like I said I have re flowed this Machine twice before... I don,t know how much life it has left... (replacement screws can be found) it Currently works fine but for how long it works I cannot say (I had it the other day running windows 10 for some software testing)

Attached Files:

16. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Why did I miss this?!! :mad:

17. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Don't worry, I'm selling my Quad G5 for £150 if you're still interested! :p

18. weckart macrumors 68040

19. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

@ TO:

keep in mind, that 10.10 is more demanding than any previous OS. If you get a low specked Intel, try to keep 10.9 at max, at least, for the case you need to go back for speed reasons.

20. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

What the hell. Including a monitor for around £100? Damn I'll be getting one this summer for sure if prices are this low.

The other thing about shipping is they get dented so easily. I've always had to tell at sellers in messages to package like crazy when shipping a PMG5 or MP,

----------

Are you sure? I felt animations are smoother under 10.10 than 10.9 on my 2011 MBP.

21. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I spent 3 hours packing my Quad - box within a box etc. Some sellers are nuts, one layer of bubble wrap and a bin bag!

22. SuperKerem, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015

SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Well...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Pow...mputing_Apple_Desktops_CV&hash=item51ca222be3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Pow...mputing_Apple_Desktops_CV&hash=item20f362b003

£285, display worth about £85 anyway:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Pow...mputing_Apple_Desktops_CV&hash=item3a9f6795fa

One of the better ones, with £30 postage:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Pow...mputing_Apple_Desktops_CV&hash=item566f4c163b

It's rare for these to go for less than £100 on their own.
    I'm offering mine for £150 because I'm not TOO desperate on selling my Quad at the moment.

23. weckart macrumors 68040

I could add quite a few more that sold for less than £80 recently, also linking to a few on Gumtree but by all means ask for more as you should. Geography plays a part. A lot of graphics and design houses are dumping old equipment, so you may struggle a bit in London unless you are prepared to deliver. I picked up some great PPC gems there.