Quad G5 vs. Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Psychopulse, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Psychopulse macrumors regular

Psychopulse

Hello everybody ;)

I'm buying a Macbook Pro in the beginning of march -I'm using the Powermac G5 2.5 quad 4.5 gb ram right now - should I just sell it and use the money for the macbook or should I keep the quad - is macbook pro as fast as the quad or not? What I mean is - will macbook be as strong desktop computer as the quad was or will it be just a notebook, not good for home using. If it's fast enough - great ;)

I'm keeping the 23" apple display, selling only the quad.

Of course, I'm talking about newest mbpro 15" 2.4 with at least 3gb of ram.

Thanks for any help.

2. smogsy macrumors 6502a

lot people say its a great desktop replacement

the new architecture of the intel you will defo notice in im unsure if it will be faster but in theory it should be its lot newer and new osx is optimzed with intels now..

3. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

The speedmark on the two machines was pretty close and can get closer with the next rev of the macBook Pro in the next few weeks.

4. errol macrumors 6502

errol

I'd probably go for the macbook pro with 4gb of RAM + 7200 RPM drive. Newer applications that are written for intel enhancements will run better anyway.

5. Psychopulse thread starter macrumors regular

Psychopulse

Thanks a lot! I'll sell the quad and go for the macbook pro ;)

6. blairwillis macrumors regular

My desk machine is a dual 2.0 G5 w 4 GB RAM and it's quite comparable to my MBP 2.4 w 4GB.

I won't be parting with it anytime soon, as it's my "always on" machine, runs several websites, my iTunes shared library for the whole house, and my file backup machine.