Quad I5 verus Quad I7 imac for Final Cut 7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by howardnow, Sep 2, 2011.

1. howardnow macrumors member

I am getting ready to buy a quad core Apple refurbished (current model - May 2011) imac to use with my FCP Studio 7 (not FCP X).

I am on a tight budget and my big question is whether the I7 upgrade chip is worth it?

With the I7, will I be able to render faster in FCP? Will compressor speed up? How much faster is it for these and other video related functions.

Thanks in advance!

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Intel i7 can be 10 - 20% faster than i5 with similar clock. So .. Worth the extra money or not, that depends on you.

If money is an object, consider this: Do you make money with video editing or jobs done on your computer? Or is it a mere hobby and have fun? If it's a hobby, then I5 is enough for you, you wont notice big difference with i7 too. no need to spend more. Otherwise you should get i7, more jobs done in a shorter time = chance to make more money. It's a good investment.

If money is no object aka you can spend more, it's a no brainer, go with i7 :)

3. benjikan macrumors newbie

benjikan

I find my Mid 2011 iMac i5 extremely fast with 16 Gb of ram.

4. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

The advantage...

The advantage of the i7 is that if you have the correct software (pro apps) the machine CAN function as an eight core machine.

For instance, on my i7 iMac when I run Logic Pro I see eight processors in use with that application.

In Handbrake it does eight crunchers at once.

When running Boing/Seti/Folding at Home I see eight crunchers at one.

That's the advantage in that while the machine is not a true eight core machine (it's a quadcore all told) the hyperthreading capability CAN be breathtaking when used by software that can take advantage of it.

The i5 is a great chip. So is the i7. The i7 I'd recommend for those who want near-Mac Pro power on a budget. The i5 I'd recommend for those on a budget who want to maximize what they can do. But you will only ever see four cores with applications at the pro level with the i5.

5. Qwaf macrumors member

*sigh*

No it cannot. They're two threads running on one core. That is not the same two tasks having a core each.

Hyper-threading isn't magic. It provides a performance boost, but not one equal to extra physical cores (on the same architecture).

6. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Sigh

To the layman it appears that way, yes, technically it does not have eight physical cores but if you run these programs you will find eight instances functioning at once.

Of course, to obtain eight physical cores it's much more money.