Quad iMacs with 8+ GB RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by miloblithe, Jan 30, 2008.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

OK, everyone's best guess is that the iMacs (and Minis) will probably follow the MacBook Pros as the next macs to be updated. What's in the pipeline from Intel for the iMacs? When are we reasonably going to see quad processing or the ability to address more than 4GB of RAM in the iMac? I ask because I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a Mac Pro, to some degree. If a new iMac on the horizon is a significant bump, maybe it's worth saving money and "just" getting an iMac.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Dual core Penryn mobile processors and still at 4 GB of RAM. I still want to know where to get 4 GB DDR2-667 SODIMMs though and someone with the budget to buy just one.

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Being that Penryn works on the current chipsets on both the macbook pro's and the iMacs we wont be seeing a break in the 4GB barrier on either of these products until the next iteration.

4. miloblithe thread starter macrumors 68020

miloblithe

OK. More motivation to stick with the Mac Pro plan.... good, good. :)

5. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Doubt you will see a quad core iMac before early 2009, the intial offerings may also run too hot for the iMac's design so it could be even longer. And maybe they are out there, but I haven't seen 4GB SODIMMS listed or talked about anywhere.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The initial quad core offerings are rated for the same ~45W TDP as the current X7900 in the iMac.

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Opps forget about that.