quad or octa for ilife, final cut express,apature

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sarkleshark, Apr 13, 2009.

1. sarkleshark macrumors newbie

Is there any benefit to get a 2.26 8 core dual processor over a fast 2.93 quad if I am going to be using ilife -iphoto and imovie with occasional final cut express or photoshop? Do any of these programs utilize all 8 cores?
    thanks

2. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

Sounds to me like the iMac was designed with you in mind.

But in terms of the Mac Pro, I'd suggest the 2.66 or 2.93 quad. Decide whether the 11% difference in processor speed is worth $500.

3. grue macrumors 65816

Don't bother with an 8core, none of them are multithreaded worth a crap. For that kind of use, get yourself a 3Ghz iMac and save a buttload of money.

4. sarkleshark thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all,
    THats what I needed to know--if any of these multithreaded to any degree. I know the Imac is a great bargain but I want the storage space for lots of photos and a life time of high def video. I already have a large monitor with a kvm switch for a dedicated work only workstation so the mac pro would be perfect. Sounds like the quad core may do me just fine--save the extra money for a 30" monitor. Let me know if I am missing anything.

thanks

5. sejanus macrumors regular

I've got an 8 core. unfortunately aperture doesn't come anywhere near close to using all 8.

6. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Have you considered getting Adobe CS4 Master?

7. Bentov macrumors regular

I was in a similar situation to you and I went with the 2.66Quad. Not worth the extra $500 right now, and I figure that is something to get later. As far as the imac vs mac pro. I guess it just depends on the money you want to spend. Coming from a pc world and this being my first mac, I just couldn't bring myself to buy a machine I couldn't open :D and I didn't' want a desk full of external drives. I got it with 8GB and ram and find that I use way more ram and much less cpu than I thought I would. I'm very happy with my machine. I also bought 2 24" dells which is the icing on the cake.