Quad Processor Intel Mac?

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Not sure if they are fake or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if OS X could handle 4 Intel cpu's or more. It would be great to have such a machine!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Who knows, but some Apple utils DID gain the ability to show info on 4 CPUs this year, that's been discovered long ago. So they could be real shots. (And with dual dual-core G5s, we may see 4 CPUs soon!)

And with Hyper-Threading, an Intel Mac could appear to have twice that, as I understand it.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
neocell said:
Why is there a ghost of some guy/robot thing behind the 3rd and 4th processor panel and the bottom right of the screen? Fake?
Just a watermark. Check the site's masthead... ;)

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
That's pretty sweet. But it's not just Intel that's doing it. AMD is going for Quad-Core Processors by 2007, and also the PowerPC is heading the same way.

It didn't require Apple to move to Intel to bring us that...

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
The screen shot appears to be of a system running OSX 10.4.1. Is that possible do the developer systems use the standard Tiger?

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
mpw said:
The screen shot appears to be of a system running OSX 10.4.1. Is that possible do the developer systems use the standard Tiger?
The first devboxes from WWDC shipped with a Intel build of 10.4.1 but they were recently updated with a Intel build of 10.4.2.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Quad Processor Intel Mac?

MacBidouille posts some screenshots which claim to demonstrate an unreleased Quad Processor Intel-based PowerMac with Hyperthreading support.

Without giving much details, those captures shows MacOSX x86 running on a 4 physical CPU-based MacIntel with Hyperthreading enable. One can clearly see 4 physical processors recognized while 8 logical processors are recorded by the CPU monitor. So MacOSX can really manage without problem any MacIntel based on either physical or logical processors.
Apple announced the transition to Intel-based processors in June of this year. Apple has offered Intel PowerMacs to developers for testing. These Developer machines house a single 3.6GHz Pentium 4.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i think it is fake , 4 cpus ?? what will it cost ,a right rip off i bet

Dual core yes , dual Cpu yes but not quad cpu from apple

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quartz Extreme said:
Very cool, but not expected from Apple until 2007...
People sure are dismissing an early MacIntel For a community that's supposed to "Think Different"

Not saying this is the "One More Thing".Just a thought..

I do believe that's a real system tho.

stefan15

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2005
Canada
Screenshot might be fake, concept certainly isn't. Apple's going to Intel, and I'm sure they want to remain at the top of the multimedia computing game, this would definitely continue to solidfy that position.

Who's to say they can't roll that kind of configuration out to consumers? Look at the PS3.

Quartz Extreme

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2005
Outside of the box
Peace said:
People sure are dismissing an early MacIntel For a community that's supposed to "Think Different"

Not saying this is the "One More Thing".Just a thought..

I do believe that's a real system tho.
The PowerMacs can't be switched over early. Many of the professional apps, especially those that rely heavily on Altivec, haven't been completely "ported" yet. Remember, there are still many new "PowerPC products yet to come"- SJ. (Dual Core G5) I don't doubt early MacIntels, but the PowerMac certainly wouldn't be first to switch.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I don't think it's fake, but I neither think Apple will come out with one. I think this could be one of these cracked Intel OS X versions installed on a custom built PC.

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quartz Extreme said:
The PowerMacs can't be switched over early. Many of the professional apps, especially those that rely heavily on Altivec, haven't been completely "ported" yet. Remember, there are still many new "PowerPC products yet to come"- SJ. (Dual Core G5) I don't doubt early MacIntels, but the PowerMac certainly wouldn't be first to switch.
Sorry.I wasn't implying that system was going to be the first off the MacIntel line..I'd be willing to bet it's a system being tested though..

We could see iBooks and eMacs with Intel inside..( never thought I'd say that ) since they really arn't designed for the power user..

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Come on people. It's basically dual dual-core processors, that's 4 CPUs. We might be getting this as early as Wednesday if the Powermacs get the PowerPC 970MP. Although It won't have Hyperthreading, which is pretty much useless in most cases.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Voidness said:
Come on people. It's basically dual dual-core processors, that's 4 CPUs. We might be getting this as early as Wednesday if the Powermacs get the PowerPC 970MP. Although It won't have Hyperthreading, which is pretty much useless in most cases.
i will eat my hat if they release 4 cpu powers this week :eek: