Quad seen as single core

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hrsetrdr, Aug 7, 2009.

1. hrsetrdr macrumors member

hrsetrdr

I posted this on insanelymac but have not gotten any useful response. I'm unsure if this level of hackintosh discussion is allowed here; I'll edit this post if it is verboten.

I just installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on a GA-P35 Ds3L / Q6600 / 4gb RAM system; all's well except that the Q6600 is detected as a single core CPU. I had set up Kalyway on my other GA-P35 Ds3L just a couple weeks ago, pretty much identical machine yet it's Q6600 is showing correctly as 4 core. FWIW both are GO step Q6600's OC'd 2.91ghz. I don't recall the Options I chose for the setup, should I re-enter the setup via the kalyway disc and select options I may have overlooked, or can I fix this within the present install?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

You might have missed an option. It is probably fixable.

The Darwin boot-loader has an option to boot the kernel in single-cpu mode, and it might have been activated by default since some PCs don't boot OS X properly in SMP mode. Can't say if that is what has happened, or what to do about it, but that might give you a clue. The flag is cpus=1 (or 2, 4, etc.) Or you can try removing the flag option and it will autodetect on boot.

In Terminal:

cat /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

If you see it in there, edit the file and set it to 4.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

5. hrsetrdr thread starter macrumors member

hrsetrdr

Thank you, I will check that here in a little bit.

I'm new to hackintosh-ing, so I just use what works. I've tried ideneb, iatkos, etc before finally using kalyway. Truth-be-told: I've only been 'into' real Macs for about 2 years, and am not as familiar with the MACH Microkernel, and the Mac way of doing things, as I am with the Linux way.

6. hrsetrdr thread starter macrumors member

hrsetrdr

This is the output in terminal:

Code:
    hrsetrdrs hackintosh:~ hrsetrdr$ cat /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist 
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    	<key>Kernel</key>
    	<string>mach_kernel</string>
    	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
    	<string></string>
    </dict>
    </plist>
    I'm grateful that Kalyway works when none of the other 'distros' don't; am curious as to why they don't, as my hardware is "prime" for osx86 installation. I was lucky with my first P35 DS3L / kalyway install; very perplexed about the 2nd P35 DS3L & my P35 DS3R won't show multi-core under Kalyway.

7. hrsetrdr thread starter macrumors member

hrsetrdr

Update:

Great news- finally some success with the Kalyway build: got an excellent link to leopardsoup which gave the correct BIOS settings for the GA-Pxx DS3x series boards; I couldn't have been much further off, changed about 3/4 of them and was able to get the proper # of cores using the -v cpus=x arguments at boot. However, they would not 'stick' and it became apparent that I'd have to edit the boot .plist.

Having gotten thus far, I decided to re-try iAtkos v.7 rather than spend the time applying updates to 10.5.2. iAtkos worked beautifully with the correct BIOS settings, now have 10.5.7 on a couple C2D & CQD rigs. A big thanks to Apple, and to all the dev's plus those who posted with help. ;)