Quadcore i7 in 13" mbp mod?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rebellion, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Rebellion macrumors newbie

Ok, so i'm buying a new MBP and I need the power of a 15" - no doubt about it.

I'd much rather have a 13" though. The size is more suitable, and they're just altogether more attractive.

Is there any way of upgrading the processor to a quad i7?

I originally assumed it wouldn't be possible - but i've just noticed that the mac mini (which comes with a dual i5 as standard) can be upgraded to quad i7 if you get the dual drive model with lion server OS...

This makes me think that the i5 dual, i7 dual and i7 quad probably have the same pin layout? But do they all run on the same voltage?

Any help is appreciated.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

They are soldered onto the logic board and physically impossible to upgrade.

3. DESNOS macrumors 6502

There may be heat issues with a custom CPU, so you have to know what you're doing, but it should be possible.

Really? It didn't used to be. Oh well.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The CPUs and GPUs in all Apple laptops have been soldered since long before the intel switch. The mini used to be socketed when it ran core solos and duos though.

5. DESNOS macrumors 6502

Ah, that's probably my confusion then.

6. Rebellion thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes sense. Desktops are usually seen as having a greater need for user access/modification than notebooks. It's actually suprising that the mini is now soldered - but i probably should have assumed that the MBP would be fixed.

The rumours i've heard about MBP overhauls suggest Feb/March next year - so i'm thinking there's no chance that they'll bring in an upgrade option to include i7 quad in 13" anytime soon :(

Thanks for the help anyway guys.