QuadCore/Nehalem Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheRekz, Dec 8, 2008.

1. TheRekz macrumors regular

I am currently saving money so that I can buy a mac book pro someday around July-October 2009. The question is that whether there will be a new refresh line of the MBP with quad core or nehalem(icore7)?? As if there isn't any new lineup coming soon I can get the late 2008 macbook pro in May 2009.. I am not in a hurry or anything to get a new notebook.. I just thought that I want to replace my current laptop with a mac... Any thoughts or suggestions maybe?

2. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

July - October is a looong way off. I would just keep putting away money until May and then revisit. By the time you buy a new laptop, it's likely that Snow Leopard will be out and who knows what will be refreshed. I can almost guarantee that a vast majority of Apple's offerings will be updated by that time though.

3. TheRekz thread starter macrumors regular

so you think just go with whatever Apple offers in May?

4. frozenlead macrumors newbie

The i7 quad cores are all desktop chips, I really, really doubt Apple will ruin its reputation by making a notebook with a desktop chip.

5. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

well like the other poster said it would be better to ask this in may when we have more info. But looking at past info and products the quad core mobile cpu's have a greater power draw. With this increased power draw it will increase the heat. Apple's notebooks are considered "thin" with being under at 1". The downside to this "thinness" is that apple cant cram parts that put off a lot of heat (9800 mgt, quad core mobile cpu).

Interesting enough though is that apple left the 17" untouched. The 17" might be able to disperse the heat better meaning a quad core cpu. And as one of the posters said apple wouldnt use a desktop qc. Well yes they wouldn't consider it. I dont even know why you would talk about it.

Also keep in mind intel has a current line of mobile qc's but they are expensive. So even if apple would put a qc in say a 17" if would most likely be a build to order option meaning it most likely will cost ~$3,500.

And... qc's would drain the battery more too.

If your waiting for a i7 qc you most likely will be waiting till macworld 2010.
    Like I said come back in may and ask this question and you'll be able to get a more definitive answer.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh... Nehalem, like all Intel chips, has a notebook variant. We will see Nehalem laptops in late Q3 2009.

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i would keep saving money and as others said revisit the issue in may. by then there may be enough information out there to decide if you should go with a dual core MBP or if it's worth to wait for a quad core MBP in late 2009. Also your personal situation might have changed and you prefer a smaller lighter notebook by then.

8. TheRekz thread starter macrumors regular

yes, that is true.. I'll definitely ask this question again in May.. anyway as of now I am planning on saving somewhere between 2k - 2.5k. Do you think that budget is enough to get a decent MBP?? I want to get the fastest processor at that time... I tried customizing the MBP from Apple's site and it gives me 2.7k to get the 2.8 GHz speed.. don't know if this price will drop in the following year. I am also planning to buy the MBP at ebay, and as of now I still see a few of the new MBP in ebay sold... so say that the Nehalem MBP does really come out on October.. i still need to wait till January 2010 to buy it via ebay, which is too long of a wait

9. P Mentior macrumors regular

Yes. but that doesn't mean that we will see a Nehalem quad core mobile chip by then. I don't doubt that we will see a Nehalem chip in a future refresh but currently the Nehalem quad cores have a much larger TDP and i don't think they could put one in a macbook pro

10. frozenlead macrumors newbie

Yes, but a quad core? The mobile core 2 quad chips aren't that popular, and the TDP is going to be tough to deal with in the confines of a macbook. Clevo uses the quad in some of their newer models, but all of them are way over 1.5" thick.

11. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

they aren't popular because of price. many people hope the i7's qc are going to be cheaper. You can argue tdp but the main factor is price.

Personally I think apple needs to come out with a line of notebooks called Macbook Extreme. (quad core, nice battery and everything else that makes the ultimate notebook.)

Oh and to the op a $2,500 laptop will be very very nice but it will not be top of the line. Expect no price drops if a qc is an opition.

12. TheRekz thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I'll try to get somewhere around $2,500-$2,700 then around May/June. If no information comes out during that time about a new refresh of MBP with the new cores, either Nehalem/Quad Core.. then I'll just get the current one that's available at that time with a Snow Leopard... I am guessing Snow Leopard will come out by June right?

13. frozenlead macrumors newbie

What are you going to use a quad core notebook for, anyway? There's likely to be better hardware out there for the money.

14. frozenlead macrumors newbie

I don't know who's hoping that, but if they've seen performance figures from AMD they're living in the clouds.

15. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

yes SL should be out by June. I don't know if you heard the rumors but they think it might come out as soon as January.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Don't bet on it. At all.

17. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

why do you think that? I mean open cl has finished and all of the rumors say it MIGHT be. Just wondering.

18. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

shipping in July with along with early Nehalem MBPs, count on it.

19. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

I would definately wait until june/july as that is typically the period when the MBP's are updated/upgraded. Also, then the issues with the unibody MBP's should also have been resolved :) So if you can wait untill may, try to wait one / two months longer to get a better machine for the same value :)

20. TheRekz thread starter macrumors regular

waiting till june/july is still fine with me... as long as it's not 2010 :D

21. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

i agree, theres alot of bragging rights it seems with people who want to slap in some ridiculous CPU in a notebook.

the MBP i use now is completely sufficient even at dual core.

im interested in the 17" MBP, i wouldnt mind picking up a refurbished unit...but like others, im really interested to see if they update the GPU in them like they did with the 15" notebooks which look just as well reasonable.
    but really would like the high res display. :p

Btw Frozenland, i noticed you have one of the Sager notebooks; how is that, i heard alot of great reviews on those

22. six.four macrumors 6502

I would bet there is no chance of seeing a Nahalem based MBP in 2009 or even Q1 2010.

The first Nahalem based mobile chip, Clarksfield, will be released Q3-Q4 of 2009, but the TDP is 45w/55w vs the 35/25w Penryns in the current unibody MBPs.

Battery life and heat seems to be somewhat of a priority to Apple, judging by their decision to include a hybrid graphics engine instead of a single 9600m gt or superior GPU. The technology for a 9800/8800 level GPU has been there and they had every chance to implement it, but obviously cost/heat/battery tolls prevented apple from utilizing it.

Considering both Penryn and Nahalem CPUs use 45nm technology, the quad core counterpart will produce significantly more heat. The higher TDP would also mean drastically lower battery life if apple were to decide to implement it in their MBP, not to mention will be significantly more expensive than the staying with the dual core.

MB/Ps may looks slick, but Apple can't perform miracles and are subject to physical limitations due to it's slimness - and that doesn't equate to good things in terms of internal hardware.

The second mobile Nahalem chip, Auburndale, will be released in Q1 2010 w/ a TDP of 45/35W - the most likely candidate if Apple ever decides to implement a Nahalem quad core mobile chip.

Apple seems to like the $2000/$2500 MBP pricing scheme - so until the manufacturing cost of parts or CPU/GPU goes down, you won't see a huge boost in upgrades.

If Apple were to implement a Nahalem chip, I speculate it wouldn't be until mid-late 2010 - and would most likely require a refresh of the design to accommodate the extra heat produced by the quad versus a dual core. Judging by the temps that 35w dual cores are pumping out in the unibody MBPs, there is no way, without a complete internal overhaul, that there will be adequate cooling for 4 cores in the current design.

Alot of people rag on Apple for not adding this.. or having that... but that's the price you pay for having such a sexy machine. People seem to like to think upgrading a processor is as easy as tossing it in and callling it a day. Apple has alot to consider and has to ride that fine line between sleekness and power so all their fanboys won't cry about it.

23. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

What do you do that requires a quad core? Or are you looking to brag? ;-)

Honestly, I have a quad core tower here, and the biggest gain I've seen is in DVD ripping / video encoding, using the right multithreaded software. Most games STILL are not MP aware, or if they are, the returns diminish as you add cores.

I recently read a report that said dual cores are sufficient for most people, and quad core was slightly overkill, and octo core was even more overkill. From what I see, I'd rather have performance gains on the memory/bus standpoint than even more cores.

I think the entire industry has jumped on what used to be Apple's bandwagon - for the longest time, Apple was able to compete by saying they had two cpus in their machines, and it was because a single cpu and its bus could not keep up with the PC side. Now that moore's law has slacked off for processor speed, everyone is going multi-core. It's still not gonna help until someone makes a breakthrough in bus/memory speed gains. Apple is doing a lot to fix the use of multi core processing with Snow Leopard, but it still is gonna depend on all the developers re-writing apps to become more multi-threaded.

You'll be fine with whatever machine you will be able to afford in your timeframe. Buy when you need, with the money you have. I'm already applauding you for not going the credit route. You don't want to be stuck paying for what is now ancient technology 3 years later. ;)

24. StuBeck macrumors 6502

I don't think it will happen, simply because it would cut into Mac Pro sales. It seems Apple wants consumers to buy the MB/MBP/iMac and professionals to get the Mac Pro. Yes, of course you can do any type of work on the other systems, but the MP has the fewest sacrifices.

25. TheRekz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for convincing me that waiting for Nehalem isn't really that worthed. I was really tempted to upgrade to have Nehalem on a MBP as it's a big architecture change with the current ones... I thought that would give an extra boost to the performance.. But really if the tradeoffs of getting a quad core is battery life, I would rather get a 3GHz dual core.. We'll see what refresh Apple has around May/June