QuadCore on IVY bridge 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrezuppe, Feb 16, 2012.

1. andrezuppe macrumors member

Hi guys,
    What do you think about new Ivy Bridge MBP 13" (if they will still be named "Pros") updates?
    Apple, in your opinions, will put on quadcore cpus? Or still dual?

I've read some months ago about a "low voltage quadcore cpu" that could be used for MBP 13", but,right now, I cannot find any news about this argument.... Wich kind of cpu should be? Should it have HT?

Reading about rumored Ipad 3, that could mount quadcore inside, ok cpu is different, but I think that a "Pro" named machine, NOW, should be equipped with quad instead of dual cpu (maybe just a base 13" with a dualcore i7 and the top one with a quadcore, but with HT)......

I've got a 2010 C2D 13" that I use for music production (Logic Pro, V.i., Guitar Rig 5) and I would like to upgrade to a quadcore, but still staying on a 13", not buying a 15"....

Thanks to all your opinions!!
    ....And sorry for my bad english, I'm just out of training! :-( ....

Bye :)

Andrea

2. TSE macrumors 68030

It will most likely go for the low-end quad-core with an integrated GPU. The 15" and 17" will most likely get high-end quad-core CPUs with switchable discrete GPUs (hopefully AMD) with integrated GPUs.

3. andrezuppe thread starter macrumors member

Uhhmmm... And this low end quadcore could have HT? :)

Thanks...
    Andrea

4. Ccrew, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

Ccrew macrumors 68020

I bet no 13" Pro. Too much crossover to the MBA price point and performance. 11" and 13" MBA, 15" and 17" Pro/MBA lines possibly consolidated. Ivy Bridge integrated GPU is leaps and bounds over Sandy Bridge

11", 13", 15" and 17" all branded as Macbooks in a single line. Heck, they even took the "Mac" name out of OSX today. The move to no owner upgradeable parts wouldn't surprise me either.

Think about it. They killed the White macbook and now offer EDU the 13" MBA. If they were going to keep the Pro they could have set a lower pricepoint there, but then the EDU's would have been pissed because they bought a computer Apple immediately discontinued. Apple does not like to piss off the EDU market. They could care less about the high end, because those users don't buy huge quantities.

Let's see who's right :)

5. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

13 inch MBA doesn't come close to the performance of a 13 inch MBP! Give me antiglare screen on a 13 inch MBP and I'm good to go.

6. Bear macrumors G3

What are you running that you're concerned about HT? Most Apps on the Mac won't make decent use of HT anyway.

7. andrezuppe thread starter macrumors member

They should put a quad-core on a Macbook Air, or a core i7 like a 2.8 i7 to make a 13 MBA powerful as an actual 13" MBP... They cannot make a 13" machine that is less powerful than now..
    ....Of course, if they want to sell us a new 13" called MBA with "PRO" performances.....;)
    If they want to cancel production of a 13" pro machine ok..
    I will be very sad :(

bye

Andrea

----------

Logic Pro 9 benefits of HT....
    8 threads, instead 4, make a huge difference in performances for audio sequencer, like Logic pro 9...
    Byee

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Err, dunno about that. Put a SSD in a 13" MBP and it might, but out of the box base model the MBA is going to win.

If I'm right on the way it'll go on the refresh it's sad too. I have a Early 2011 13" with 16gb of mem and a 240gb SSD and it takes anything I throw at it.

Apple's not always known for doing things one would expect. There's a lot of crossover in the lines right in the middle at 13" and makes sense to consolidate. Face it though it's Apple, they're going to do whatever they want and the lemmings among us will line up to buy them.

9. Bear macrumors G3

Ahh, I missed that in your original post. Anyway, according to what I could find (Wikipedia Article), there will be mobile Ivy Bridge i5's and i7s with 2 cores + HT and i7s with 4 cores+HT.

The desktop Ivy Bridge processors have more core/HT configurations.

10. andrezuppe thread starter macrumors member

Interesting Bear...
    from your link, it says that core i7 3612QM 2.1, wich turbo boosts at Ghz 3.1 GHz, is a 35 W cpu and it has HT. This could be the low end quadcore processor for our new 13" ? :)

Byee

A.

11. Bear macrumors G3

Yes, this is likely for the Pros. I'd bet the 17W processors are prominent in the Airs. Both of which are 2 cores+HT.

12. andrezuppe thread starter macrumors member

And 17W could be released in May (if we don't consider the last rumors that speak about june :( )
    No date for the 35W quad-core.... :mad:

13. Schlaefer macrumors member

If history tells us anything about the 13" MP[P|Alu] then that we will see the cheapest OEM dual core Apple is able to get in the low end model and a dual core i7 in the high end.

Overall it's probably still a better deal for most people to get a decent single thread performance and usually the dual core pushes to higher clock speeds in Turbo Mode (35W).