Quadra 840 AV won't boot...

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by New2Mac2012, May 27, 2014.

1. New2Mac2012 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've recently re-found a Macintosh Quadra 840AV that I had in storage, but had forgotten about until a recent clean-out by my father. It's generally in good condition, and has its original keyboard, mouse, and monitor. However, it won't boot!

The machine powers on okay, and there's the usual hard drive clicking sounds - however, after about 10 seconds, it makes a very sad "spinning down" whistling sound, and refuses to do anything further. Nothing shows on the screen at all during this time.

I have attached a video recording so you can see/hear what I'm up against, and I've repeated the boot sequence - such as it is - twice.
    I've had a look over the main board, and it seems in fairly good nick - I can't see any signs of physical damage/bad capacitors. I will say now, that this happens with and without the battery attached.

Anybody have any ideas as to what ails it? I'd love to get involved in the world of 68k Macs, so I'm very eager to get this up and running again if at all possible!

Here's the link to the recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w32q7sPS29Y&feature=youtu.be

(the video was image-stabilising when I left it, so it may not be immediately accessible!)

Please post any thoughts here, rather than as comments on the video!

Many thanks in advance!! :D

N2M

2. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

I'm not sure what that "downward whistle" sound is, but from what I can hear, the drive is still spinning.

What I can tell you is that when you power off, the drive has only JUST finished calibrating. Give it a little while longer and see what happens.

Do any lights illuminate on the keyboard, briefly?

However, nothing being on the screen is odd. Any pics of your screen and where it is plugged into might be helpful.

3. New2Mac2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi MacTech68, thank you very much for your response!

Firstly, I am very glad to hear that the "downward whistle" is not a well-known "Mac is dead" error sound! - if for no other reason than it would be very embarrassing not to have been able to find this out on a google search!

Secondly, your advice:

I don't have access to the Mac at the moment, as it is stored at my dads place (the screen being too cumbersome for me to store at home at the moment), and I won't have access to it again until Saturday, due to work commitments.

I will check the keyboard lights, and provide you with a video recording of screen activity - or lack of - as soon as I am able.

Thanks again for your help thus far.

N2M