Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luisramos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Hi guys,

I have a 2012 mac pro and I'm thinking about getting a quadro k4000 (or k5000).
Is it possible (and worth it) to use it together with the ATI Radeon HD 5770 that came with the mp?

Thanks!

SilvioM

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
It should work fine, the 5770 and k5000 use only single 6pin power connectors so there won't be any power issues.

luisramos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Thanks Silvio.

I`m thinkng about using a PC video card on the mac pro, can I do that? Or it has to be from apple?

I'm thinking about buying a GTX 680 for gamming and a Quadro k5000 (or k4000) for work.

Thanks!

SilvioM

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
If that is the case you are going to need an external power supply like an optical bay one because the GTX 680 use 2 6pin connectors and using power splitters is to risky. There is a sticky on this forums that explains which PC GPUs you can use, the GTX 680 is one of them. But if you are going to use a PC GPU and a MAC GPU at the same time there are going to be issues, so basically they have to be both PC GPUs or MAC GPUs.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Thanks Silvio.

I`m thinkng about using a PC video card on the mac pro, can I do that? Or it has to be from apple?

I'm thinking about buying a GTX 680 for gamming and a Quadro k5000 (or k4000) for work.

Thanks!

It will work, but don't expect high settings in games...We have the same card in our heavily customised MP 5.1 Hex, and the GPU is a bottleneck...planning on getting a much better card in the new year...Games will play, just not on high settings...As an example, my iMac with the 680M 2GB GPU kicks the MP into next week in gaming. As far as it working goes though, you'll be fine.

luisramos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
If that is the case you are going to need an external power supply like an optical bay one because the GTX 680 use 2 6pin connectors and using power splitters is to risky. There is a sticky on this forums that explains which PC GPUs you can use, the GTX 680 is one of them. But if you are going to use a PC GPU and a MAC GPU at the same time there are going to be issues, so basically they have to be both PC GPUs or MAC GPUs.

Thanks again!

Macman45, even on bootcamp?

luisramos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013

I was thinking about getting a GTX 770, but since it needs a 6pin and a 8pin connectors, it would be impossible, right?

If I use ONLY the GTX 680, that requires two 6pin connectors, would be ok?

Thanks!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I am running a MVC modified Gigabyte OC GTX 780 with 2 8 pin connectors using internal power.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.