Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbeaty2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out a problem. I just installed a Quadro FX 4800 in my Mac Pro and installed the latest drivers. Everything including PPro CC 2014 works. But Quicktime Pro brings the system to a standstill, the mouse cursor freezes and jumps every 5-10 secs like the system is in slow motion. If I quit Quicktime Pro 7.6.6 everything goes back to normal.

It's only Quicktime Pro that causes this. I need QT Pro to work. QT 10.2 works for playback normally. If I boot into safe mode QT Pro works! So maybe it's Quartz Extreme causing this? Can't think of what else to try. Thought maybe someone else has heard of this. I am running a Blackmagic board and eSATA board in the Mac.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hmm...

I booted into 10.8.5 with a 4800 on a 3,1 cMP. It was connected via DP to Apple display and DVI to 30" Apple Display. I opened Quicktime Pro 7.7 (something like that, latest one from Apple) and had no trouble at all. I even played a few hi-res R3D clips from my days as Art Director at Playboy TV. All played smoothly.

I tried using the Nvidia web driver and the basic OSX driver. I was 100% unable to recreate this issue.

Could I suggest that you run Activity Monitor (in Utilities folder) and see if it shows what is using all the CPU cycles at that point?

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
I ran a 3,1 with a 4800 and OS 10.8.5 for a while. Never had issues with Quicktime (aside from the black flashing when previewing files that was endemic in 10.8.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.