Quadro FX for Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zackzigzag, Jun 1, 2009.

1. zackzigzag macrumors newbie

Hey macpeeps,

I'm going to buy a Mac Pro 2.26 8 Core. I plan to install Windows XP and use it as a 3D Workstation / rendering machine. I'm struggling to find out about my graphics options, though.

Can I get the Mac Pro with one of the standard graphics cards (GT120 or HD4870) and then install a Quadro FX (maybe the 1800) alongside. My hope would be when I'm in OSX, this card gets ignored, but when in Windows it will be used as the graphics card. Is this possible? What would happen in VMWare Fusion?

I'd love to just get the upcoming Quadro 4800 for Mac, but it's a bit pricey. Are there any other solutions anyone's tried for this kind of thing?

Finally, is there anything with regard to power from the motherboard I'd need to be aware of?

Cheers for any help,

Z.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can use a GT 120 with it, but not the 4870 without a second PSU.

3. zackzigzag thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for that :)

Any idea how the operating systems will know which to use. Will Windows just default to the Quadro somehow? Or do I need to disable the Bootcamp driver for the GT120?

cheers,

Z.

4. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

but a pc if you are going to run pc software, the nvidia bootcamp drivers aren't that great and you'll save a heap of money doing it yourself