quake 2 problem

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by evilmutent, Jun 25, 2008.

1. evilmutent macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have a quick question for you all.

I've just got into getting Doom 1 & 2 and Quake 1 & 2 to run on my MBP (15" Core Duo, 2ghz, 2 GB ram, x1600 256MB). I'm using PrBoom for Doom, and it works flawlessly so far.

As far as Quake is concerned, I'm using the fRuitz of doJo version. Quake 1 works fine, but Quake 2 crashes before it even starts. It gave an error for something to do with not being able to load a graphics file or something. (I'll get the accurate error when i get home today. (http://www.fruitz-of-dojo.de/php/download.php4?dlnr=6 )

Do you think it's maybe a Leopard bug? Anyways, if you have any info, that would be great. I love quake 2 too much to not get this working again!

Cheers,

EDIT : The error says Couldn't load pics/colormap.pcx

Any Ideas anyone?

2. 1ncr3du10u5 macrumors member

Could it just be that it's not a universal App. and it's buggy for that reason?

3. evilmutent thread starter macrumors newbie

It says that its a universal app (head to the link in my first post). I'm not sure whats going on.

Hoping to find someone who has that program running correctly on Leopard (if any exist)

4. Setmose macrumors regular

In Leopard -- Check the File Read/Write Permissions

I used a USB SanDisk to copy the entire Fruitz of Dojo Quake 2 installation from my Tiger machine to my new MacBook Pro. Under Leopard I could run the program which would get as far as running the demo loops in the engine. When I started a new game or tried to launch a saved game I got an immediate exit to shell with error message: "mismatched edict size".

After some head-scratching I checked the file read/write permissions in the installation folder hierarchy. Sure enough, many folders and files had been set to Read Only for all 3 levels -- personal, admin, everyone. When I laboriously went through and set all permissions on all folders and files to Read/Write -- bang, instant widescreen Quake 2 satisfaction. It looks damn good on the MacBook Pro. :)

Hope this helps. :apple: