Quake 4 no sound

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by drumminelsewher, Sep 21, 2007.

1. drumminelsewher macrumors newbie

Sorry to re-post this.

I found the old thread and tried all of the solutions to fix my sound. But I still have no sound through my laptop speakers or my usb bose speakers. So far technical support has been a suckfest.

Anyone have any idea how I can fix this problem? I'm running it on a macbook pro (17 inch, new model)

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I applied all the patches and had the same problem but then it went away when I rebooted. Try repair permissions and logging in as another user.

3. drumminelsewher thread starter macrumors newbie

Well now I have sound through my laptop speakers but still nothing through my usb speakers.

This is quite frustrating, I bought the system for music and games and so far no games have worked off of the USB system.

4. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

I just had a similar problem when trying to run the Doom 3 demo - apparently if you can't output sound at 24bit use the audio midi config utility in the apps folder to change sound output to 16bit. See if that works.

That said, I have issues of my own with games (what the hell, Apple, go give us switchers some decent graphics card drivers please!)

5. drumminelsewher thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok when I get home i'll give that a shot.

the sound system is a bose companion 5. It sounds great when music is being played I can only imagine my games.

6. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Check the sound control panel in preferences to make sure the USB speakers are selected as the output.

7. drumminelsewher thread starter macrumors newbie

I have on both accounts.

EA games said that they've been having problems with usb systems and quake 4 looks the same the way.

8. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Quake 4 sound suck anyway, is a techno music...
    Doom 3 instead is great!!

9. brockumpodness macrumors newbie

This Is The Fix

Problem:
    An error says that OpenALL is not supported when you try to get the sound working in Quake 4 (for mac).

Solution:
    1) open Audio MIDI Setup (do a spotlight search, it's easier)
    2) once there, in "Properties For:" choose "Built-in Output."
    3) then in "Audio Output" you'll see right by the "Format" 2ch-16bit/2ch-20bit/2ch-24bit. Choose from the scroll menu 2ch-16bit.
    4) make sure the Hz is 44100.0Hz.

And the best thing is, THERE'S FINALLY SOUND!!!

Enjoy ;)