Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Causality

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
United States
Quake Live supposedly runs in any web browser. Anyone who managed to snag a beta key know how it performs on a Mac?

siksik6

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
I'm on the Beta, but Windows is a requirement.

Installed XP under bootcamp,and it runs fine however. Just make sure you disable the apple function keys, otherwise you can't press 'f3' to 'ready' yourself at the beginning of a game.

Runs very well in fullscreen tho, very smooth framerate.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I'm on the Beta, but Windows is a requirement.

Installed XP under bootcamp,and it runs fine however. Just make sure you disable the apple function keys, otherwise you can't press 'f3' to 'ready' yourself at the beginning of a game.

Runs very well in fullscreen tho, very smooth framerate.

Yeah, it sucks, but it is windows only...what a load of crap.

siksik6

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
1) it's a beta
2) it's free!
3) the final will run under MacOS.

it's a long way from crap!

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
I've been looking forward to this for ages! Glad to hear it'll work in OSX.

I am a bit worried though about the level of competition. I hope they have a ranking system. I remember getting destroyed repeatedly when I played this on Dreamcast (I forget which version it was) and after a while it became very dull. I won't have time to spend all day getting good at it, and for me, browser games are a casual 30 mins of game time. Hopefully the game will be able to sort teh hardc0r3z from the rest of us.

siksik6

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
I'm sure they have. One if the first things you enter is your level of experience with FPSs. I used to be OK at Q3A back in the day, but now I'm married and have to work for a living I'm sure I'll get slapped down quote a bit!

Causality

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
United States

I am a bit worried though about the level of competition. I hope they have a ranking system. I remember getting destroyed repeatedly when I played this on Dreamcast (I forget which version it was) and after a while it became very dull. I won't have time to spend all day getting good at it, and for me, browser games are a casual 30 mins of game time. Hopefully the game will be able to sort teh hardc0r3z from the rest of us.

I heard a lot of the people on there are Q3 veterans, so the competition is quite intense... Hopefully when the final comes out there will be enough players that there will be something for everyone.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006

It has matchmaking and by the time its released, it'll be filled with regular Q3 playing people and a bunch of newbies as well so no worries about that.

AliClifton

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
I'm in the beta and its a pain that it doesnt run on Mac atm i havent heard anything about them making it mac compatible in the future, but i cant see why it would be very difficult.

I'm playing it right now in parallels and it seems to work perfectly under that.

pranavss11

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
San Jose
this looks very very interesting. I used to play Q3A back in the day. Was in one of the top clans for the day. If this comes to Mac I am totally playing this!

siksik6

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
Definitely coming to Mac OS, although you know iD... "when it's done!"

It's really great though :)

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Anyone tried Quake Live with Vmware Fusion?
It isn't really playable, kinda stucks in sound loop after loading, anyone else had this?

batitombo

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
It isn't really playable, kinda stucks in sound loop after loading, anyone else had this?

Yeah, it sucks! I got a key, tried on mac and it says, Windows XP/Windows Vista no mac

I'm gonna try it on parallels 4 and I'll let you know how that goes!!

alkar

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
it works perfectly with parallels, 60fps.. just make sure you disable the parallels mouse driver, else the mouse is broken

batitombo

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008

Ok update

Working good in parallels 4.0 with windows xp! Pretty smooth but don't know my framerate! whats the framerate command?? I don't see a console!

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Console is Ctrl+Alt+~ (or Ctrl+Option+~)

When in the console type in "com_allowconsole 1" to enable the console to be opened just by pressing ~

To show framerate, type in "cg_drawfps 1".

batitombo

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Console is Ctrl+Alt+~ (or Ctrl+Option+~)

When in the console type in "com_allowconsole 1" to enable the console to be opened just by pressing ~

To show framerate, type in "cg_drawfps 1".

ahh k thanks, and the showfps command change! That's good to know! :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.