Quake Wars Enemy territory issue!! Any1?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by barrett092, Jan 5, 2009.

1. barrett092 macrumors newbie

In areas of the map only when I am inside certain buildings my game will begin to become extremely choppy until the point of entire game freezing. I do not understand this, has anyone had the same issue?

I have a Mac OSX Leopard

2.8 ghz

Nvidia 9600gt

4 gb of ram

So I don't see why it would be a lack of system requirements?

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated!

2. Kaos Theory macrumors member

No Problem with Minimum Requirements

I actually don't own Quake 5, but thought that you might like some opinions anyway. :) Your MacBook Pro is definitely powerful enough to run the game, as I have read reviews of gamers who achieved relatively high frame-rates on the ATI-Radeon 2600s that ship with the lower-end iMacs. Some Mac games that have been ported seem to have some odd quirks that are rather annoying (When I turn on High-Quality rendering for COD2 on my top-end 2008 iMac, my screen goes black until I go back to my current game, or shut off the rendering mode). Have you tried customer support for your game? (Usually useless, but it might help.) It might just be a problem with your game disc. Also, I have heard that there are some gaming issues with the more recent release of OSX Leopard, 10.5.6.
    Hope I was able to help, and congratulations on your awesome MacBook! <Covetous looks.>

P. S. I highly recommend Call of Duty 2 (COD2) or Call of Duty 4 if you are looking for an alternate game to play. (Due to openGL, one can't really achieve more than 30 FPS on any COD Mac game regardless of settings, so I go ahead and max 'em out :D.)

3. barrett092 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input, I've been debating on whether or not contacting customer support but I think I will soon.

I heard that in the settings if you lower the shader quality that can help so I'm also going to try that.

What bothers me though is with the specs I have for my computer it doesn't seem liek I should have to lower anything?

4. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

Are you playing online or offline? Have you installed the 1.5 patch? Does the problem clear up when you leave the building? Maybe a corrupted texture? Do you have one of those nvidia cards that has been recalled?

Do you notice wether or not your hard drive is spinning? I sometimes lose frames when my HD is being accessed. Not to the point of freezing though. Also keep in mind if your HD is more than 80% full you may begin to lose speed.

5. barrett092 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm online when it happens. I'm not sure if I've really tried offline to see if it does the same thing.

1.5 patch is installed.

Yes the problem does clear up when I leave a building.
    I'm not sure if my chip was recalled all I know is that I have the brand new MacBook Pro 2.8 ghz version.

I can't really tell if my hard drive is spinning or not but I DO have more than 80% of my Hard Drive taken up. Could that be the problem possibly?

6. Kaos Theory macrumors member

Internet Speed?

If you are playing online, then your connection could be the problem. Your computers specs will be alienated in online play if you have a slow connection speed, say, 1-2 MB/s, as the data that encompasses your high settings can't be transfered quickly enough through a connection of that speed. (I am extremely laggy in online games due to my slow internet speed.) If you are playing wirelessly, I suggest cranking down your settings considerably. Most gamers turn down their settings to low when in online play regardless of internet speeds, as the absence special effects, such as snow or heatwaves, can be beneficial in spotting enemies.
    There was a recall on the nVidia 9600GT GPUs that came with the first shipment of the 2008 unibody MacBook Pros. However, if your computer's graphics are fine in all areas but the aforementioned building, I highly doubt that the problem could be your graphics card, as this would effect all graphics, not just games. Also, if you are playing with the 9400M integrated GPU, you should switch to the 9600GT. (I assume you already did this.) Good luck!

7. Entopia7 macrumors regular

I may have the answer to your problem. Several indoor areas in ETQW make extensive use of shaders, such as the Strogg portal room (can't remember the name of the map). The amount of work your graphic processor must do to render these areas is greater than the normal, outdoor environment. If it is only in these kind of areas, I would suggest turning the shader sliders down in your graphic options.

Hope that helps.

8. barrett092 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info from everyone. I'm going to give idea a try, while It might be the shader issue I'm also going to lower the settings anyway and possibly play it not wirelessly but directly with the ethernet cord.

9. Kaos Theory macrumors member

Good Luck!

An ethernet cable should speed things up. Glad I could help. Have fun! :D

10. barrett092 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow now i'm becoming extremely displeased.
    i was playing tonight with shaders turned to medium quality and shadows off.

the first match everything went well even in indoor areas.

the next match about half way through (in outdoor area) the same thing happens it gets extreeemely choppy and eventually the video freezes. i can hear myself shoot and do thngs in the background and even when i press esc i hear the main menu in the background!

so then i had to hard restart my computer...

the only thing i have not yet tried is using my ethernet cable instead of wirelessly. i think its time i call the makers of the game.

its frustrating you know cause you think you purchase a very high end computer with a great graphics card and then this happens ya know?

EDIT: Could this be a overheating issue?

11. barrett092 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would possibly bringing my mac to the genius bar do any good?

Or is there a software bench test to see if i have a defective video card?

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This may sound stupid but I wonder if you have some bad ram on the video card or in your system. Try taking out 2 gigs using static precautions and fire it up and see what happens. If it still happens put the stick back in and pull out the other one and Boot again Its worth a try.

Your machine has plenty of juice for this one.

13. Kaos Theory macrumors member

Good System Scan Software

When you start up your computer, it will always give you an option of scanning, right under your login section. You should perform a full hardware scan. Like I said, I doubt it's anything to do with your graphics card, as this would affect all graphics. When I bought my new iMac, I also purchased the Apple Care Protection Plan 'cause I wanted to have the peace of mind. The included analysis CD, TechTool Deluxe, is the coolest I've seen. It can perform a full system scan (processor, GPU, RAM, etc.) in about a minute. Also, it gives you the option to scan for "bad blocks" on your HD. I don't know if this could be your problem or not, but you might want to give TechTool a try. It's made by Micromat, and there is a new version out right now that you can get for peanuts (plus it includes a free voucher for the newest version, still to be released). Oh, are you playing the Mac version of Quake 5, or the Windoze one? Hope this helps. :apple:

P. S. You should quit ALL applications before playing your game, as this can free up a lot of RAM.

P. P. S. I do NOT think that you should take out any RAM. If you have bad RAM, the scan will show it.

14. barrett092 thread starter macrumors newbie

Believe it or not but when I initially purchased the computer it did have bad ram.

I had to take it to the apple store where they basically just replaced the faulty ram.

I've downloaded the program where you can regulate your fan speeds and it seems to be running a little better but I'll still keep everyone updated.

I'm worried that I've been plagued with one of those faulty nVidia chips that have been reported...

Anyway thanks everyone for the suggestions.

15. Kaos Theory macrumors member

Bad Luck, Eh?

You should take in your computer to an Apple store. I have heard of some people having trouble with the build quality of certain units of the MacBook Pro, and you should not accept substandard performance for the price that these puppies cost. Take it in to a Genius Bar and demand a check-up! An Apple store should be able to verify that your graphics card is not faulty. I hope that you will have the benefit of experiencing what a fully-operational Mac is like. After all, that's what sets them apart from Peecees, right? No "why the heck did that just happen" moments. I still think that it is a problem with the game, but good luck anyway. Cheers!

16. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Well, it seems I have the same problem. Did you find a solution yet?