Quake Wars has been released(Mac version)

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Dont Hurt Me, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just thought this was worth creating a new thread, Quake wars is now shipping. I have a copy coming but I knew since this was done by the same guys who did RTCW that this would be a great title to add to my iMac.http://www.aspyr.com/software/news/78/215 I really want to support Mac Gaming and dont plan on running windows at all. Next up is UT3:D

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I hear yah, I've been waiting for a new game since EA/Dice has all but abandoned BF2142 Northern Strike support (so it would seem due to lack of response).

This will be a much needed change. I just bought Orange Box last week and I still have to play it. Got lots to work with now :D

3. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Where is the love? Sure Apple has ran off gamers to consoles and PC's but with the intel move Mac Gaming is coming back strong. Shirley there is some interest on this new title coming to Mac isnt there?

I thought it was funny Aspyr released it yesterday but there wasnt anyway to purchase it from them or Apple. Made a call to Aspyr to remedy this and they were as confused as Apple was. So I said your releasing this title yet you arent selling this and your site refers to the Apple site who also wasnt selling this title. Genius!

4. HaGG macrumors member

Bit late isn't it? The game's multiplayer is probably dead by now :rolleyes:

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

There's interest I'm sure, just the game forum here moves pretty slow. And you know how people only post when they have problems :rolleyes:

Considering BF2142 is still pretty heavy (never have a problem joining a match up) I would say it's not dead. Heck I can still find UT2k4 matches and other older games online.

6. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

I'm very interested, but have you seen what the minimum specs are?

Leopard is a minimum requirement? Boo!

7. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

Macgamestore is still saying pre-order but amazon page says its in stock:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000TDGYKS/aspyrmedia-20

8. siorai macrumors 6502

Finally. :D I'll be picking this up as soon as I can find it. It's one of the only games that had tempted me to install BootCamp/Windows. Thankfully now I won't have to go that annoying route of dual-booting.

9. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

Yay, another game to add to my already extensive collection of ported-to-mac games :p.

10. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

crap, crap, crap, crap....

11. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its worth mentioning PC gamer gave it a 84% and editors choice and this was reviewed in the same issue as Crysis. Ill be interested to see how it does on the 2600pro inside imac.

12. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

Last time I checked there were many people playing online.

The Quake Wars PC demo runs pretty well on my P4+Radeon 1650XT, while Crysis demo just crushes my machine.

13. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

Was looking forward to this game, until I saw the above. Sigh.. my poor old Dual G5 :-(
    Strider

14. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

IM SUPER EXCITED. i was oging to buy this for XP, until i saw it was coming out for Mac! Yay, lets hope they do a good job!

15. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

so much for system requirements being released 6-8 weeks before release, as i've cited in several other posts -_-

Anyway, I'm not happy with the system reqs.
    Though I don't have leopard yet, i still meet most of the req. I have a first gen 20" intel iMac.
    I have 2 gigs of RAM which is more than enough, and the x1600 with 256 megs of VRAM, which is also more than enough (though i'll probably need both the extra ram and vram to get a decent framerate).

HOWEVER, the original intel macs (such as mine) shipped with an intel core duo, NOT an intel core 2 duo, and since there's no mac demo (at least not that i've seen), i'm not willing to spend the cash if the game might not even run on my system.

If anyone tests it on a regular core duo, please let me know.

Though I'm not happy that Aspyr left us in the dark with the progress of this game, i WILL admit that the port of quake 4 is probably the best looking native mac game i've ever owned.

16. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

no demo yet, no one can test it.

It appears from the sys. req. that OS X 10.5.1 is mandatory, so it doesnt sound like it will work on previous OS's.

17. Deadaim357 macrumors member

Deadaim357

I've always wanted to try this game out. I hope a demo for OSX comes along. Even though I'm barely able to run the game.

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Quake Wars is a fun game, too bad I bought it for PC. :eek: :)

19. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just got my copy, played it for about a hour , its pretty cool. I ran it on 1280 x 800 High settings and it did very well, slight stutter once in awhile looking for that hard drive but my iMac 2.4 only has 1 gig. On med settings smooth as silk so I would guess another gig would make the difference. Game ran great never had 1 crash :) Challenging and fun.... its pulling me in. Nothing like a Mac native game to add to the collection. A few more titles like this one and who needs Windblows on a Mac.:apple:

20. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Can we have your EXACT system specs plz? :)

I'm assuming your'e running a core 2 duo at 2.4 GHz, but what video card do you have, and how much VRAM?

and are you using one of the new high-end imacs with the core 2 EXTREME?

21. muymal macrumors member

do u need the cd to play or is that a install and play anywhere type?

22. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im using a 2.4 core2duo iMac 2600 pro video card and stock 1 gig of ram. The game asks for the cd to be intalled before playing. iMac runs it very well in my view.

23. MRU Suspended

MRU

Mmmm not sure whether to buy this on the mac now, or wait for the ps3 or 360 version.

24. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Support Mac gaming and we will have more titles and with this Intel move its a lot easier to make a Mac game then porting a ppc version. Its why I decided to wait for Mac versions. The game Rocks and running Native in MAC OSX, thanks Aspyr.

25. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

What kind of frame rates do you get? And with medium, high, low (whatever, essentially) settings?