Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
maybe the should invest in networks that can carry all the data comfortably without limits

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Right! Is like, if you increased the size of your mouth and throat then your appetite will increase somehow and you would consume the meal of the month in one go!
Awesome reply. It seems he also has a logic cap on top of the data cap.

Last edited:

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Off topic there mate. I'm not advocating a monopoly , I want equal or better performance , I don't care what brand it is. I mentioned intel cause compared to my 6S plus my 7 has inferior reception.....for £1000! Is equal reception for £1000 a bad expectation?? Given my 6S was cheaper....
And your conclusion that this is due to the Intel modem is based on what exactly?

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
I can actually see most Americans eventually using LTE for their home internet instead of cable/DSL. As most people know, Google's significantly scaled back their FTTH deployments in favor of wireless due to the latter being way more cost effective (considering the regulatory environment and the current monopolies). If Qualcomm's modem means a reliable 50mbps connection for everyone on a tower, the major carriers could provide the competition that's so desperately needed, making prices drop dramatically.

(For reference, I pay $80/mo for 200/20 at home. Google Fiber is about that much for 1 gigabit, not to mention that gigabit fiber in other countries is half that price.)
Yea I agree, although I dont think we'll use neither Qualicomm nor Intels modem for smartphones at home. While I pay about the same as you do, but for 300/300, I do see the advantage of a portable internet access even at a lower speed (twin sim in car and at the cabin etc)

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I've said it here before,you are wrong.

If you download a document/photo/textfile this would be the case, even downloading a video from for instance youtube you are right but there are sites which download your whole video instead of just parts of it.
Now, lets say you start watching a Youtube video which is 1 GB on a 20 Mbit connection, it will cache only a part of it, after 10 seconds you decide it's a crap video and stop watching it, you downloaded only lets say 25 MB.
Now, on another site which does not cache but just downloads until finish it on a 1 Gbit connection it dowloaded the whole video.
Just yesterday I was on a MR thread here, someone had a WWDC video link in his post https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ios-10-3-to-developers.2033590/#post-24325157, the one about APFS, my Mac downloaded the whole 40 minute video instead of stopping when I stopped watching the video.
So, you see if you do this on a capped Mobile data connection you will download more data.

You have potentially changed my mind about this.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
It's been said before, but I'll say it again...

Speed is no longer most people's issue with mobile data, it's coverage.
And how do you think THAT problem (and the endless complaints about data caps) will be solved...?

Through people working on better modems and protocols like these products?
Or by the same tired whining that we've been hearing on the internet since 2010?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
And your conclusion that this is due to the Intel modem is based on what exactly?

using my 6S and 7 side by side, came carrier, same place The 6S would have signal while the 7 would have no signal, simple test, but proves a point

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
using my 6S and 7 side by side, came carrier, same place The 6S would have signal while the 7 would have no signal, simple test, but proves a point
That is primarily an issue with the antenna, not necessarily with the modem.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
That is primarily an issue with the antenna, not necessarily with the modem.

Or it could be the modem also. Any proof it's the antenna ? Cause there is proven data the intel is inferior in low reception areas

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
At a thousand bucks a pop they should be putting in the best modem possible, regardless of OEM/ODM price. If they don't they're just screwing the consumer. It's like taking out an ASUS, or MSI motherboard and replacing it with a brand that is new and not well known to that particular market. It's not an established product and more likely than not it's going to have issues that their established ones have already worked out, and will most definitely be somewhat inferior as well, at least for a certain period of time.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Or it could be the modem also. Any proof it's the antenna ? Cause there is proven data the intel is inferior in low reception areas
Where is the proof? You mean the Cellularinsights article where they used a basestation configuration that will never appear in the real world? That doesn't count as "proven data" to me. That sounds rather like "this article paid for by Qualcomm".

I have been working in mobile communications for nearly twenty years, including 3GPP standardization and R&D on both the network and mobile side, and I am telling you that bad reception is an antenna problem until proven otherwise. I haven't seen any meaningful proof from a reliable source.

Edit: Just as a sidenote - you can easily see that an article is Qualcomm-friendly if it doesn't mention Qualcomm's well-known far inferior out-of-service search behaviour where the Qualcomm modem eats more battery when out of service and takes longer to regain service than others.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Qualcomm has a better track record of delivering quality products. Not so much with Intel lately with their baseband radio, cable modem chipset, stagnating CPU soon to be topped by AMD Ryzen, etc. Intel is becoming complacent and profit-only driven with mediocre products like Apple.

http://cellularinsights.com/iphone7/

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r3...terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mistake

https://twitter.com/briannaolivas_/status/834556234166448128
[doublepost=1487962862][/doublepost]
So what? Anything beyond 20 Mbit/s/user is pretty much useless on a mobile device.

Wireless is a shared medium and there's also the power saving aspect. It's better to transmit quickly then free up the spectrum for other devices. It's like having a group conversation where if Joe talks too slowly others can't participate without interrupting him. Also, the faster the device can transmit/receive the quicker it can go back into power saving mode and extend battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.