Quality and conditions of a Refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Quad 2.5 G5 =), May 28, 2009.

1. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

I am selling my 17" PB and my 13" MB, and getting a 15" Unibody MBP.
    Would it be a good idea to get a new 2.4Ghz or a refurb 2.53? Also, I saw the
    "get a mac and a free iPod Touch" deal that apple has right now and I was wondering if I would qualify because I have the homeschool discount. (I actually do school on my MB using Bootcamp).

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I have purchased nothing but refurbished Apple products since 2000. I've had one problem, which was a recall (the G3 ibook motherboard issue) in 5 machines and an ipod. I suggest it.

3. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Supposedly they're almost as good as new (repaired and fully tested) save for minor cosmetic imperfections.

4. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

Just remember if you buy a refub the free ipod does not apply :(

5. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I've bought two refurbs lately, a white MacBook and a 15" UMBP. Other than coming in a plain box, can't tell the difference between them and a brand new unit, no blemishes at all.

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I got my mini refurbished and other than coming in a plain box, it was in brand -new condition.

I've gotten two Dells refurbished, both in brand-new condition as well.

7. kyleaa macrumors regular

I purchased a refurb iMac with no problems, and am waiting on a refurbished iPod I just ordered. I have not had any problems.

When a Genius was swapping out my iPhone for a refurb he stated that every refurb product gets completely tested, where new products coming off an assembly line are only periodically tested for quality control, so he stated that you are actually less likely to have a problem with a refurb. I don't know that i believe this to be 100% accurate, but I definitely don't think you have much to worry about with a refurb.