Quality changes in garageband

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Mazeon, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Mazeon macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. Not sure I posted this in the right forum section - if not, I'm very sorry.

I'm working on a song in garageband, and I feel like I have accomplished to get the exact sound I want.

The problem is that whenever I save it down to I-Tunes the quality of the track really changes and gets worse. It just isn't the same powerful sound/quality that I have on the song in garageband.

Could somebody please help me? :)

2. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Check out this guy's videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GaragebandandBeyond/videos

He has a couple on mixing and mastering that's worked wonders for me.

3. Mazeon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for showing me that super-great youtube channel, appreciate!

I have searched the videos - even though I found some pretty good stuff and info on other things - it still didn't solve my problem.

I listen to my track in Garageband and it sounds brilliant, but whenever I save it down it just sounds completely different. I'm not talking so much about the volume, but the 'boomy' and powerful feel gets a lot weaker.

Almost to the point where the unmastered version sounds better.

This is extremely irritating so if anyone knows how I can deal with this situation, trust me, I would Appreciate the help!

Thank you!

4. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Yeah I'm really not the person to be talking about all this since I'm a total novice, but it's going to have a lot to do with your mixing and mastering (or lack thereof). It's important to have a wide stereo field and have all of your instruments spaced out with the optimum EQ settings. I personally like to double guitar tracks and pan them to each side. But yeah, the guy in those videos can tell you all of this and an infinite amount more. I know there's a certain AU Plugin that can increase the volume significantly for the master but I couldn't tell you right now since I'm at work. But just look for the series of videos where he mixes that song. These are pretty good in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL32FCEF730AEE90D6

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Just to clarify two silly things that could be causing the issue:

1. Did you put a limiter over your master track? Garageband will just happily play a song if it peaks, which can sound great, but that's the incorrect way to mix.

2. Does your iTunes have a EQ setting applied?

Apologies if those seem like dumb things to note, but they're basic things to get out the way.