Quality degradation converting from AVI to MP4?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by sdilley14, Jan 27, 2014.

1. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Simple question - is there any (noticeable) degradation in video quality when converting a file from an AVI to an MP4? I have several videos that are AVI's and I'm considering converting them all to MP4's (so I can play them through iTunes).

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Depending on the settings in whatever application you want to use, there might be, there might not be visual quality degradation. Take a look at HandBrake and its Apple TV and similar settings.
    If the .avi file is not too frelled up, you might be just fine.

3. dynaflash macrumors 68020

There is *always* quaity degradation any time you compress a source (transcode). As noted above it is usually possible to get it so there isn't too much of a noticeable difference but you will want to use very high quality settings.

.avi is an alert typically that your source is a low quality torrent to begin with. So your results will definitely vary.

4. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for the input. I thought that there was *always* some level of quality degradation any time you convert a file type, but I'm just not sure to what degree. I'll just have to play around with it and convert a few files and see how they look.

I have HandBrake. I also think QuickTime would be able to convert them. Any reason I should use one application over the other?

----------

That is accurate, lol.

5. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

If you use Handbrake (or anything that uses x264), on the Video tab for x264 preset, push the slider to "Slow" or something below. This will increase the encoding time, but it was make the quality at any given bitrate MUCH better. So it's a way to ensure you get a good rip of your source material.

6. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Noted, thank you for the tip!