quality difference between mbp BTO machines vs. stock?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kanpachi, Nov 2, 2009.

1. kanpachi macrumors regular

does anyone know whether there is any quality degradation of BTO (build to order/customized) machines vs. stock machines from apple? i assume that apple has a primarily automated manufacturing process that builds the stock machines in a more consistent, predictable fashion.. but for BTO machines, i'm concerned that they are not so automated so perhaps it would require more involvement from people (and thus subject the machines to problems stemming from human error/carelessness, i.e. finger smudging on the screen, case dents, improperly seated components, etc)

would anyone be able to help confirm this? i want to purchase the low-end 15" mbp with the 128gb ssd + anti-glare display, but am concerned about the potential quality issues vs buying a stock machine

thanks in advance for any help

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've never heard that BTOs would have worse quality... They are all made in same factory. If you face any defects, send it back to Apple

3. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Seriously mate, life's too short to be worrying about that sort of thing!

It'll be smudge free when you receive it. (And dent free, for that matter).

4. kanpachi thread starter macrumors regular

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

why not just put in your own SSD?

Could save a ton...

Where are you in the USA, there are other places you can BTO and not pay tax

Here in CA, its 9.25% sales tax for Macs, so I buy mine out of state

For BTOs, I go to powermax in OR.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In New York we pay for out of state purchases :(

7. psingh01 macrumors 65816

It doesn't make sense to two separate lines: one automated and one with people. It's likely just one assembly line with people in key areas. What are the differences between the BTO and stock models? HDD, glossy/antiglare, ram, cpu. That's about it. So they have a process that gets the different optional components, but the installation is the same for stock or bto.

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I used to think that BTO machines had more problems, but after buying a few stock machines have realized that they all have equally poor quality. Apple products are great if you get a good one, but that isn't always easy.