quality issue AVCHD / iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by guil, Jul 2, 2008.

1. guil macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am importing my AVCHD files from my Sony SR5 cam into iMovie (very latest iMac 20", 2.66 GHz, 4 Gb RAM).

I find that the quality is very poor when playing the result on my iMac screen. Of course, I am not expecting the same quality that I have when I plug directly the cam to my HD TV, but I was hoping something better.

I even find that the import on my Vista PC using the Sony software is much better than on iMac.

Do we loose quality when converting in AIC ?

Do you experience the same thing ?
    Any clue, advice, comment ?

Thanks !

2. Cmu93 macrumors member

I have the same iMac... bought it about 2 weeks ago. I'm importing AVCHD into FCE and iMovie 08, and they look perfect. Are you sure you're importing into iMovie in the Large 1920x1080 size? The preview/edit screen never looks as good as the actual movie once it's exported. That's when you'll see it look amazing.

Tom

3. guil thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried to export but I feel that I still have the same quality issue with the exported file.

I am importing the video in Large format.

The dark colors are especially bad (noisy and fuzzy).

Are there some export settings that I should double-check ?

thanks again

4. foudordi macrumors newbie

Faded colors

Hi.
    I think I might have the same problem. Every time I export a video with imovie 08, the colors are all washed out and the blacks are not as deep as the original.
    At first, I exported directly to h264 files.
    Then I tried to export as quicktime files (using h264 too) and the colours were less faded, but still it's definitely not the origine saturation.

Anyone experiences the same issue?