quality loss after upload into imovie 08

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keeahskreations, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Keeahskreations macrumors newbie

The quality of my videos are horrible after they are imported into imovie 08. I am not sure if it is the camera or the settings somewhere in imovie. I am very new to video editing.
    My camera is a Sony DCR-HC26 Mini DV. The settings in imovie are at the aspect ratio 4:3, standard video NTSC, which is what the camera records in. IF I'm saying this correctly..
    I have connected the camera directly to the TV to see what it would look like and the quality is great, crisp. Once it is imported its grainy and detail is gone.
    Has anyone had this problem? I am prepared to buy a new camera, but would prefer not to since this one still works fine.. Please help.. :confused:

2. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Since its a Standard Def camcorder, the quality will be good but not real great. Can you tell me when you import, what settings are you using?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You must be the 673rd newbie to panic over this "problem"? iMovie is an editor not a viewer. iMovie's preview function is an aid to editing. It is not intended to be used like a standalone viewer like the QuickTime Player or VLC.

Edit a clip. Save it. Play the clip in the QuickTime Player. Does it look OK? If so, then relax.

4. Keeahskreations thread starter macrumors newbie

Quicktime/settings

I do not have quicktime, and i am not going to buy it. I understand imovie is an editing tool. I have made several DVD's using imovie and the quality looks the same as whats in imovie, after it was burned to disc and played on a television.

Here is where my knowledge gets lacking.... The settings you are asking for,
    the only place I can see where I can change anything that has to do with the video is once its imported.. which its set for NTSC (the same as my camera). The import screen will not let me change anything.....
    I have the aspect ratio at 4:3.. Does this help or am I helpless?;)

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Huh? The QuickTime Player has shipped with every Mac sold for nearly two decades. Apparently you are confusing the QuickTime Player with QuickTime Pro. When you pay the fee and enter then serialize the QuickTime Player, you convert it to QuickTime Pro. QTPro merely enables the built-in editing functions. As a viewer, QTPro is no better than the unserialized QuickTime Player.

6. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

My bad, forgot you have DV and you cannot change anything. What you can try to do is after import, export it out to a .mov format. There are filters and such to make corrections before you export. I would say try a small clip and play with the settings. Do a 2 pass export though. Other than that, its the cam.

7. Keeahskreations thread starter macrumors newbie

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you have the wrong project settings, you need to select something that is more "high definition". make sure that your exporting selections are correct too :)

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is possible that you do not have the proper codecs installed to play the particular video or that you do not have the video file type associated with the QuickTime Player. It is not possible that you do not have QuickTime.

QuickTime is not an application. QuickTime is the name of the audio-visual frameworks of MacOS X. The QuickTime Player/QuickTime Pro is an application that is based on these frameworks. Other QuickTime-based apps include Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express, and (drumroll) iMovie and iDVD.

Except for apps like VLC that use internal codec clones, virtually every MacOS X app that handles AV content relies on QuickTime to do so. These include Microsoft Office, ArchiCAD, Poser, and most others.

10. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

11. sdp macrumors member

12. Keeahskreations thread starter macrumors newbie

13. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

14. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

15. xStep macrumors 68000

16. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

After iMovie 6HD, apple developed iMovie 8/9 for the utube generation. So when you save your files for utube, which is a smaller format, the clips will look pretty good. They suck in DVD format. Thats why I only use iMovie 9 to import AVCHD, then export out to h.264 (aka HD) and import into iMovie 6HD or FCE. You can try this method with your SD clips, do a 2 pass encode, and see what happens (test with small clip). BUT, it has allot to do with the cam. I still own a Sony SR100 (SD) and had the exact same problem as the op. One of the reason why I moved to AVCHD.