Quality Metal Back for 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by orange42, Nov 28, 2011.

1. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to get a metal replacement back for my white 4S so I think a silver one would look best.

Who uses one of these and where did you get it? I'm looking to spend around $20 at most. I found these few on Ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPhone-4S-4s-Silver-Brushed-Metal-Aluminum-back-cover-housing-battery-door-/270839899989?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3f0f50e755 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brushed-Aluminum-back-cover-housing-battery-door-iphone-4S-4GS-Metal-SILVER-/160687923002?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2569bf1f3a - the second one is only $6 so I feel like that is too good to be true. Has anyone gotten them on Ebay? If not, where's a reliable online place to get one?

Thanks

2. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

The cheap ebay deals are usually true if they have good rep (which he does), it's just that they might not be 100% perfect fit. For 6dollars though you can't really complain i guess..

3. lazybee macrumors member

CNN.cn is known to be one of the more reputable sellers. They have good quality products and customer service....I think the back from them is shy of 15$.

4. Geo411m macrumors regular

That $6 one looks very nice. I might just get it for kicks.

5. swordfish5736, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

i have the cnn.cn one sitting around somewhere from my iPhone 4. the iPhone logo on the back wore off after a few months, and i also noticed a loss of signal when it was on the phone. It was still nice and maybe slightly thicker than the factory glass

also i bought directly from the cnn.cn site and it took about a month or so to show up

6. Geo411m, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

Geo411m macrumors regular

Thanks for the follow up. I ended up ordering the Mas Element back plate. I called and they're going to sandblast it so it has the same look/texture as the silver antenna. I'll post some pics once it gets here. ETA is Saturday.

7. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

very cool..ya for the 15 bucks i paid for it last year it was worth it. I have been looking at the mas backplate for my 4S would like to see pics of yours once you get it.

Im between the rust canvas and the brushed black antique or the regular. The wife would kill me if i bought more than one :mad:

8. KittyBurn macrumors member

Combination of iPhone 4S White - Element Vapor Pro White and Silver mixed - and Rust Mas Design Back. (also have brushed silver but didn't do pictures with it yet)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

While your pictures are nice to look at (cozy feeling), they don't really show off the back (too much reflections and fussiness).
    Could you take some that shows the back with more sharpness and light to it?

10. lazybee macrumors member

Outside please! The sun/ambient light is your friend. Makes it much easier to see details. Thanks and enjoy!

11. Geo411m macrumors regular

I just got my custom Mas sandblasted titanium back this morning. It's a really nice, well build backing. Build quality is excellent. It's looks like it came straight from Apple. The sandblasted titanium back looks just like the stainless steel antenna band.

I did a field test to see signal strength and it does knock a bar out. my phone went from -89 to -101 or basically lost 1 bar of service. Pictures are the same quality as the OEM lens.

Overall I give it a 9 out of 10. Knocking a point off for the drop in cell strength.

Attached Files:

12. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

Make sure you get one with a flash diffuser........

13. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. hizzaah macrumors 6502

I don't have a flash diffuser on my aluminum back from CNN and I don't have picture problems.. I do have diffusers though, just haven't figured out a sure fire way to put one on

Not bad looking for $6.. Shouldnt take more than 2 weeks if it's coming from hong kong.

15. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

You are lucky. i got one without the diffuser and get the washout effect with flash pictures :(

16. hizzaah macrumors 6502

When I first put mine on I had washout. So I tried to glue in a diffuser using a pocket knife and a glue stick, but I didn't like they way it went in so I took it out. There's a very small amount of glue left on the inside of the case, but I don't have any washout now..

17. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

lol, so are you suggesting some glue ? Worth a try :p

18. hizzaah macrumors 6502

Im not gonna say that I recommend that because the moment I do, someone's gonna mess up their phone with glue :p just sayin what worked for me..

Also, on the OEM back piece, there's a ring of foam around where the flash diffuser goes. I bet that helps quite a bit in isolating the flash from the camera lense..

19. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

Yah glue doesnt work, actually made it worse. I do have the ring of foam around the LED. Its on the phone, is not part of the glass back. nothing works, have to wither get a diffuser or get a new silver back. Might as well get a new back since this one is showing a lot of scratches :p

I tried taking pics without the back, and it works perfectly, dunno why the back makes the flash go crazy, its all blacked out on the inside too :(

20. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brushed-Aluminum-back-cover-housing-battery-door-iphone-4S-4GS-Metal-SILVER-/160687923002?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2569bf1f3a

I ended up getting that one and just got it in today. I took a pic of under my desk with flash on, installed it, and took a pic of the same spot again after installing the new back. It turns out the flash gets pretty messed up with this different backing on. There's kind of like a blue streak that goes across the middle of pictures. Pics without flash come out fine and overall the back looks pretty awesome now. I wish it didn't have black trimming on it though since my phone is white. White or silver would have looked better.

21. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

From the pics in that listing it doesnt look like a flash diffuser is installed. I have a silver back with the same issue. I have yet to come across a "metal" back on ebay that has the diffuser installed. A lot of the glass ones do.....if they only had silver glass :p

22. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So when using flash all your pictured have the blue streak? I was thinking of unscrewing it again and like rubbing it or something ha.

23. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

Not a blue streak but a lot of washout....pics look misty, as if someone "smoked" them :p