Quality of Asurion replacement iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abhishekk89, Nov 10, 2014.

1. abhishekk89 macrumors newbie

My friend dropped his iPhone 5S and cracked it. Luckily, he had Asurion insurance and they sent him a "new" one. Now he wants to get the new iPhone 6+ and I offered to buy this replacement phone.

But I've heard some negative comments about Asurion's replacement phones. Some claim to have gotten refurbished phones (which is okay if it is Apple Refurbished) while others claim these phones are ones which were rejected by Apple's stringent quality checks and ended up with Asurion. The latter is a little scary and I don't want to pay a lot of money for a dud. So I was wondering if people who have gotten "new" replacement phones (particularly an iPhone 5S) can comment on this or add your valuable thoughts. Any helpful comments are extremely appreciated.

2. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

My partner had two iPhones replaced within a year (4S) and they both came in a white retail box with accessories so they were new. I looked up the serial numbers and they were not listed as refurbs. Look up the serial numbers and see when it was manufactured and what not.

3. abhishekk89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah! The serial numbers. That was something I should have thought about, considering the fact that I'm not really a noob.

4. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

If it starts with an N then most likely it's a refurb.

5. shawndc86 macrumors newbie

i hate those guys, ive had an iphone since 2008 i finally needed a replacement & i fought with them for a month to get a 5s, i lost my 5 & they we determine to send me a 5c, no way was i allowing that

6. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I had to have my 5S replaced by them and I received a brand new phone. I was quite pleased.

7. maka344 macrumors 65816

maka344

Apple do not sell their rejects to other companies.

However, this doesn't stop companies buying trade ins and network rejects.

8. Asurion Cares macrumors newbie

Asurion Cares

Hi abhishekk89,

Based on the availability at the time of the claim, we do use both new and certified-like-new devices. Rest assured all of our certified-like-new devices use 100% OEM parts. If you have have other questions, please let us know. Thanks!

9. Asurion Cares macrumors newbie

Asurion Cares

We have nothing but love for you Shandc86! We appreciate your being one of our loyal and valued customers. It's our goal to replace with a like-for-like device. If that model is unavailable at the time of the claim, we may offer to send a comparable model. We're glad to hear that ultimately you are up and running again!