Quality of current MBP 256GB SSD?

leicaUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Can anyone comment on the quality of the current MBP 256GB SSD. Is apple still using the samsung drive? I read that this drive was supposed to be very good?

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009

its crap. If you get the HDD model and spring for either an Indilux, Intel or sandforce based drive (preferably intel or sandforce) you will notice it is significantly faster than the samsung apple still uses for some reason

leicaUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Well, i have researched Intel drives extensively and seems that they don't even make anything at this point larger than 64gb (??) and that their specs are generally not better than the samsung. on the other hand, from what i see, it looks like the samsung and crucial 256gb drives are rated neck and neck and both regarded very highly..... ??

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
Well, i have researched Intel drives extensively and seems that they don't even make anything at this point larger than 64gb (??) and that their specs are generally not better than the samsung. on the other hand, from what i see, it looks like the samsung and crucial 256gb drives are rated neck and neck and both regarded very highly..... ??
Your use of "extensively" scares me.

aduck

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
San Diego
I had an Air with the Samsung SSD Apple offers, and a unibody MBP with the Intel X25-M 160 G2 now.

The Intel will run circles around the Samsung. I'd still rather have any SSD over a normal drive, but for the money the Intel blows the Samsung out of the water.

John Kotches

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Troy, IL (STL Area)
It says : "Transfer Rate 6Gb/sec (compatible 3Gb/sec)". Does the MBP affect this somehow, like restrict it to 3 GB/sec ? Would one experience a bottleneck ?
The current MBP doesn't have 6 Gbit/second SATA, only 3Gbit/second. So the drive would run in 3Gbit/second mode. Will there be a bottleneck? In theory yes. In practice, probably not noticable.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Bu..bu..bu...the Samsung drives are arsenic and brominated flame retardant free!

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece

withdrawal

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
So if I want to get a better SSD, I buy a MBP with an HDD, then take it into crucial or whoever and they will remove old / install new drive? Sounds expensive and messy.

Is the stock MBP SSD really that much slower, enough to warrant paying $500-800 more? Plus, who's to say the refresh won't have a better SSD?

rumpus

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
So if I want to get a better SSD, I buy a MBP with an HDD, then take it into crucial or whoever and they will remove old / install new drive? Sounds expensive and messy.

Is the stock MBP SSD really that much slower, enough to warrant paying $500-800 more? Plus, who's to say the refresh won't have a better SSD?
You don't need to take it to Crucial physically, you can install the SSD yourself. It is expensive but not messy.

I'd like to know about the real time performance comparison regarding the stock SSD too.

withdrawal

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
Thanks rumpus -

The most I've ever done with my macs is replace memory - replacing hard drives has to be a lot more involved. I wouldn't want to mess up a brand new MBP. Will just wait & see what they offer in the new one I think.

rumpus

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
Thanks rumpus -

The most I've ever done with my macs is replace memory - replacing hard drives has to be a lot more involved. I wouldn't want to mess up a brand new MBP. Will just wait & see what they offer in the new one I think.
Yea I was apprehensive about the same thing, I have a 2007 MBP and changing the storage is a hassle in it. However, to my pleasant surprise, installing a drive in the unibody MBP seems like something my cat can do when she's not busy :D

Here's a 3 min video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8HnEUzsTS4

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Apple uses Samsung SSD's - I would stay away and buy a proven Intel SSD.

withdrawal

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
That youtube video makes me think twice: maybe I do wanna get a super-snappy SSD :confused:

Will wait for now...